UAB IT provides antivirus software for use by everyone at UAB, including your personal home systems.
Please note: Microsoft Forefront went end-of-life in July 2015.
- For home use on Windows 7 and Vista, UAB IT recommends Microsoft Security Essentials be installed on your Windows system. If your computer is running Windows 7, Windows Defender only removes Spyware. To get rid of viruses and other malware, including spyware, on Windows 7, Windows and Vista, you should download Microsoft Security Essentials for free.
- For home use on Windows 8, Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. You cannot use Microsft Security Essentials with Windows 8 or Windows RT, but you don't need to because Windows Defender already provides built-in protection. Learn more about using Windows Defender on Windows 8.
UAB IT recommends that system administrators on campus use System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) for antivirus and malware protection for campus computers.
System Center Endpoint Protection 2012 has several advantages over the scope of Microsoft Security Essentials:
- Centralized reporting
- Centralized monitoring
- Centralized management
- Automated network client deployment
- Advanced Microsoft support is available through professional, premier and/or software assurance programs
- Management of the host-based Windows Firewall policy via the SCCM policy configuration interface, allowing for configuration of endpoint security as well as allowing or denying connections.
System Center Endpoint Protection 2012 provides a single, integrated platform that reduces overall IT management and operating costs.
UAB IT's recommendation is to deploy the SCEP agent within System Center, along with the inventory agent. There are many other features you may turn on or block from use within SCCM.
- For Mac/(OS x) use Sophos Anti-virus. Please click here and login to select Sophos from the available titles.