Desktop Web Conferencing
Microsoft Lync is a messaging and conferencing solution that connects and engages audiences in online meetings, training and events. With Lync meeting, attendees participating from their PCs can be part of a presentation, kick off a project, brainstorm ideas, edit files, and collaborate on whiteboards, all without the hassle and cost of travel. Lync helps users streamline communications from small collaborative meetings to large events.
Note: Please order the Lync Service from this page, not directly from Microsoft. When you're ready to order, click ORDER NOW.
- Share and record your meeting notes (record only from PC)
- Highlight and emphasize key aspects of your presentation
- Ordering information:
- What's Included
- Unlimited number of meetings (only one concurrent meeting)
- Audio via computer whne using installed Lync client or browser (see Telephone Bridge option below for use where computer audio/mic/speaker is not available)
- Cost $10 per month
- Optional Telephone Conference Bridge
- 800 number
- Toll-based number
- Cost: per minute of use for each attendee
- Charged to organizer for toll-free at $.05 per attendee per minute
- Paid as standard long-distance costs by attendee when using toll-based number
- Note: Select "Lync Request" in the drop-down box on the service request page | ORDER NOW
- What's Included
- Connect remote participants and teams
- Make a bigger impact with dynamic audio and video
- Distribute handouts before or during your meetings
- Stay in touch anywhere: Lync enables users to communicate securely anywhere they have network connectivity, and automatically adapts to network conditions.
Use the device you want: Lync makes communicating easier with a consistent and familiar experience available on Windows PCs, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android smartphones. The new immersive Lync app for Windows 8 and Windows RT provides a seamless touch-first experience.
Communicate in the right way: Lync unifies voice and video calls, Lync Meetings, presence, and instant messaging (IM) in one easy-to-use client, making it simple to choose and switch between different forms of communication.
Take advantage of standards-based HD video: Lync uses open standards including H.264 SVC to provide a high-quality video experience on a wide range of devices.
Make virtual meetings more effective: See up to five meeting participants simultaneously with new multiparty HD video support. You can choose who to see or let Lync choose for you.Easily join meetings: Joining a Lync Meeting requires only a single touch or click on smartphones, tablets, and PCs.
Extend Lync Meetings outside your organization with browser-based access:The Lync Web App allows PC and Mac users to join a Lync Meeting from a browser and delivers a full online meeting experience including IM, voice, multiparty video, data collaboration and sharing.Take notes in OneNote: OneNote share allows users in to create and share OneNote digital meeting notes within Lync Meetings.
Effective, October 18th, 2013, all Telecom work orders must be submitted through our Telecom work order form located at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/ServiceRequest/login.aspx
Please visit the Telecommunications Services for more information.
Please visit the IT Billing site for more information.
Office 2013 is now available only for download by TIMGroup members only.
Persons who are formally affiliated with UAB gain access to university-managed electronic resources by means of an officially recognized credential called a “BlazerID." A non-UAB person who needs access to these resources is not eligible to create a BlazerID, and is thus required to obtain a guest username and password. Guest accounts (also referred to as “XIAS” accounts) must be sponsored by a UAB employee, and are subject to an approval and setup process.
Who is a guest?
Guest accounts can be used for many purposes at UAB. Guests can fall into a number of categories, including but not limited to:
- A researcher accessing data stored on a UAB SharePoint site
- A colleague from another institution who needs to access a UAB file share
- A vendor that is remotely supporting a UAB-owned system via VPN
- A site visitor conducting an accreditation review who needs local network access
- A consultant who needs system access to conduct on-site installation or maintenance
- A meeting or conference attendee who needs to access UAB WiFi
- A high school guidance counselor who needs access to Banner
As a Sponsor, use the links below to begin the process of setting up a guest account. Once you have completed the underlying form(s), the sponsored user or users will receive automated emails that will guide them through the process of completing the setup. Once the setup is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and information on next steps.
I would like to…
As a guest, you will receive an automated email that with instructions on how to complete the setup of your sponsored account. You can use the link below to manage certain aspects of your account, such as a forgotten password. Please note that as a guest you are not able to initiate the account creation process; this must be done by a valid UAB-affiliated sponsor.