October 11, 2012
ConnectivityIndustry standard 802.11 a/b/g wireless data network providing access to the campus network and Internet. Access to the network requires authentications and authorization through the UAB enterprise directory.Terms of serviceAll persons (including guests) utilizing the UABVisitor network are required to abide by relevant UAB policies, including the Policy for Acceptable Use of Computer and Network Resources (AUP). Guests must agree to the AUP when authenticating to the network. Any abuse of the service or UAB resources by a guest will result in termination of their access and potential suspension of the associated Allocation account where applicable. Additional setup or programming fees may be required for reactivation.PrivacyUnencrypted sensitive data should not be transmitted through the UABVisitor network. SSL and/or VPN is strongly recommended for most uses. Guests should expect that their contact information and any records of network usage activity will be made available to legal authorities if requested through appropriate channels.SecurityDevices connected to the UABVisitor network should have all current OS security patches applied, and the use of personal firewall software is strongly recommended.ID/PasswordEach individual connecting to the UABVisitor network must be authenticated on a daily basis at minimum, with their own valid ID and password from the UAB enterprise directory. There is no option for shared, anonymous, or casual access.SSIDIn order to connect a device to the UABVisitor network, it is necessary to configure an SSID into its wireless adapter. The UABVisitor network is unencrypted and does not require an encryption key. Users are strongly encouraged to use SSL or VPN for sensitive data.
- Plan A: "Managed Allocation": Departments that routinely host short-term events such as continuing education classes, conferences, or sports camps. These events typically draw numbers of visitors to campus who request or require Internet access and can make use of Wifi capability.
- Plan B: "Ad-hoc Service": Departments that only occasionally host a visiting faculty, or vendor. These guests need Internet access temporarily and can utilize Wifi with their laptop in order make a presentation, contact company resources, or check their email.
Request Access and Provisioning
- Plan A: Guest Wifi Allocation account will be established which allows designated departmental staff to assign Wifi access for their visitors, through the use of an authenticated Web site at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/guestwifi/login.aspx without ongoing requests to UABIT. The Allocation account will be provisioned with a maximum number of slots which can be in use at any given time.
- Plan B: Departmental finance officers and/or their designees can request Wifi access for a visitor on an as-needed basis, by submitting a service order to UABIT via an authenticated Web site at https://commservices.comm.uab.edu/guestwifi/login.aspx
- Plan A: Five business days to establish a new Allocation account, immediate guest access activation.
- Plan B: Immediate guest access activation
- Plan A: Setup fee of $20 per allocation account, and then $8.50 per month per available access slot
- Plan B: $1.50 per day per guest
Published in FAQ - Infrastructure