Persons who are formally affiliated with UAB gain access to university-managed electronic resources by means of an officially recognized credential called a “BlazerID." A non-UAB person who needs access to these resources is not eligible to create a BlazerID, and is thus required to obtain a guest username and password. Guest accounts (also referred to as “XIAS” accounts) must be sponsored by a UAB employee, and are subject to an approval and setup process.
Who is a guest?
Guest accounts can be used for many purposes at UAB. Guests can fall into a number of categories, including but not limited to:
- A researcher accessing data stored on a UAB SharePoint site
- A colleague from another institution who needs to access a UAB file share
- A vendor that is remotely supporting a UAB-owned system via VPN
- A site visitor conducting an accreditation review who needs local network access
- A consultant who needs system access to conduct on-site installation or maintenance
- A high school guidance counselor who needs access to Banner
As a Sponsor, use the links below to begin the process of setting up a guest account. Once you have completed the underlying form(s), the sponsored user or users will receive automated emails that will guide them through the process of completing the setup. Once the setup is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and information on next steps.
I would like to…
As a guest, you will receive an automated email that with instructions on how to complete the setup of your sponsored account. You can use the link below to manage certain aspects of your account, such as a forgotten password. Please note that as a guest you are not able to initiate the account creation process; this must be done by a valid UAB-affiliated sponsor.