How do I clean my mailbox to save space? Or, do I need to ask for more mailbox space?
Since the Central Exchange accounts have a certain email quota for Students and Faculty/Staff, here are the best steps to help save space in your mailbox.
Remember: all of the folders in your mailbox, other than Personal folder files (PST) or Personal Archives, count on your overall space in your mailbox.
- Delete your Deleted Items. You can right-click the folder and click “Empty Deleted Items” or open the folder and shift+delete your email to permanently delete the email.
- Delete the Sent Items in your mailbox. You’re sent items like your Deleted items can house a good bit of emails that can be deleted.
- Use Mailbox Cleanup. This is built into Outlook 2010 only. You can access this by doing the following:
- Select File inside your Outlook.
- Select Cleanup Tools. You can view the mailbox space before selecting the Cleanup Tools button.
- You can choose:
- Empty Deleted Items.
- Mailbox Cleanup. Mailbox Cleanup allows you to use advanced tools to cleanup large emails and older items by the options you previously set. It also allows you to delete items that are in conflict with others.
- Archive. Archive your items to a personal folder file (*.PST).
To help you determine how much space you have and how to increase your space, you can go to http://www.uab.edu/itbilling and request more space for your mailbox.