Instructions for installing Microsoft Remote Desktop 8.0.25189 (Downloaded via Mac App Store)
UAB IT has contracted with InCommon to provide Comodo SSL server certificates for the uab.edu domain.
Any UAB department using a certificate ending in uab.edu can use the service at no cost. UAB IT pays a yearly fee that covers all certificates.
For regular SSL server certificates, the server administrator can order them here.
For wildcard certificates and multiple domain name certificates, the server administrator should send a request to AskIT with all of the details and a valid CSR (Certificate Signing Request), and the request will be routed through Data Security and the Unix team.
- 50 GB of e-mail space, an increase of 49 GB from the current service
- 25 GB of free file storage, an increase of 24 GB from the current service
- Access to Microsoft Office applications from laptops, tablets, and other mobile devices
- A single web interface to access all of the above features
Students who prefer to work offline will be able to download the Office applications and continue using their preferred e-mail clients.
We expect all students to be transitioned to the Office 365 service by June 30, 2014. For more information and how the transition will occur please visit our Office 365 for Students info page.
Desktop Web Conferencing
Cisco's WebEx conferencing product allows you to collaborate with colleagues across your organization, or halfway across the planet. You can meet online and share files, information, and expertise. WebEx solutions are meant to increase productivity while keeping you connected.UAB has negotiated a master agreement with WebEx that allows UAB faculty and staff to subscribe to certain enterprise subscriptions. See the information below for details.
Ready to order?
- Contact the WebEx representative, Ryan J. Brown (615-324-4849) email@example.com or Evan Bearry firstname.lastname@example.org ( 904-996-1307), DO NOT order via the WebEx website.
- WebEx will provide you with a quote/order form via an email link.
- Click on the link to open the online agreement.
- Review the order form for accuracy and print the actual agreement for your records. CLICK OFF ON THE ELECTRONIC APPROVAL.
- Attach the printed copy as backup for any submissions to UAB Procurement for payment.
- No agreement needs to be routed for signature.
WebEx is a comprehensive suite of real-teim web collaboration services that enable organizations to increase reach, accelerate business processes and reduce costs. Learn more.Share ideas online with anyone, anywhere. Learn more.
Persons who are formally affiliated with UAB gain access to university-managed electronic resources by means of an officially recognized credential called a “BlazerID." A non-UAB person who needs access to these resources is not eligible to create a BlazerID, and is thus required to obtain a guest username and password. Guest accounts (also referred to as “XIAS” accounts) must be sponsored by a UAB employee, and are subject to an approval and setup process.
Who is a guest?
Guest accounts can be used for many purposes at UAB. Guests can fall into a number of categories, including but not limited to:
- A researcher accessing data stored on a UAB SharePoint site
- A colleague from another institution who needs to access a UAB file share
- A vendor that is remotely supporting a UAB-owned system via VPN
- A site visitor conducting an accreditation review who needs local network access
- A consultant who needs system access to conduct on-site installation or maintenance
- A high school guidance counselor who needs access to Banner
As a Sponsor, use the links below to begin the process of setting up a guest account. Once you have completed the underlying form(s), the sponsored user or users will receive automated emails that will guide them through the process of completing the setup. Once the setup is complete, you will receive an email confirmation and information on next steps.
I would like to…
As a guest, you will receive an automated email that with instructions on how to complete the setup of your sponsored account. You can use the link below to manage certain aspects of your account, such as a forgotten password. Please note that as a guest you are not able to initiate the account creation process; this must be done by a valid UAB-affiliated sponsor.
UAB IT provides several for-fee streaming services via a Wowza Streaming Server hosted on the UAB campus. The Wowza solution provides capabilities for both live streaming and archiving of recorded sessions/events and streams content to all of the most popular devices and protocols.Order Now Click and complete the online form.NOTE: if your request involves academic material (defined as material associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) some media/streaming services may be available to you at no cost. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria click here for Media Services for Academic Courses.
- Live Streaming: User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel for onsite; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing. See the pricing section for more information.
- Archived Content and On-Demand Streaming: setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used (with min Gb requirement). Two options for storage are available including both individual file storage and bulk storage managed by the end-user department. Some storage may be at no cost if the content is considered academic in nature (academic being defined/determined based on the material being associated with an active course in Banner.) See the pricing section for more information.
$32.00 / hour (during
regular business hours
assuming basic facilitation;
other periods is limited and
at an additional cost)
2 hour min. billing
|User must provide capture equipment, network connection(s) and personnel; IT provides management of the stream and streaming server; Billed based on actual hours stream is active with a 2 hour minimum and in hourly increments; separate fee to archive the stream for future viewing|
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Individual file/event basis)
See Note below related to
$45.00 / Gb annually
Setup fee is per directory/folder; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed at actual storage used and in 1Gb increments (min 1 Gb billing); if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
Archiving & On-Demand Streaming(Bulk storage)
$200 / 10Gb annually
Setup fee for top level directory; a separate directory is required for each account string; billed in increments of 10gb; user group manages all uploading, directories, etc.; if you have previously set up On-Demand, the set-up fee will not apply.
NOTE: For individual archived files (not bulk services) if the content is determined to be for Academic Use (defined by the material being associated with an ACTIVE Banner course) there may be no cost for the services. If you believe your content meets the Academic criteria, contact Instructional Technology at 205-934-0429 for more details or click here.
- Wowza Media Server 3 is compatible with Flash Player, Silverlight Smooth Streaming player, QuickTime player, VLC, native playback on iOS devices, as well as with a variety of native H.264/AAC capable players on 3GPP, set-top boxes, and other devices.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports several variants of RTMP as well as HDS for Flash, Silverlight Smooth Streaming, Apple HLS for iPhone/iPad and other compatible devices, RTSP/RTP for Android, QuickTime and other 3GPP mobile devices, and MPEG-TS for set-top boxes. See specifications for a current list of supported protocols.
- Wowza Media Server 3 supports streaming to many types of devices, including PCs, Macs, iPhones/iPads and other devices supporting HLS, Android smart phones/tablets, other 3GPP smartphones/tablets, Internet connected TVs, IPTV/OTT set-top boxes, etc.