UAB Libraries Gift Policy
The UAB Libraries welcome donations of books, journals, other printed materials, and media that enhance the strength of our collections and support the instructional and research programs of the University of Alabama at Birmingham. This policy is a guide for UAB Libraries staff and potential donors.
Note: The Reynolds-Finley Historical Library along with the Alabama Museum of the Health Sciences and the UAB Archives maintain separate gift policies and procedures based on the nature of their collections.
Conditions of Acceptance
- The UAB Libraries have the right to retain or dispose of (including sale) any gift materials at the discretion of the librarians.
- The UAB Libraries will not accept materials that show signs of mold, mildew, or other damaging conditions.
- The UAB Libraries will not accept materials in obsolete media formats.
- Librarians will determine the processing, location, and display of gift materials.
- Materials received as gifts will be evaluated by the same standards as apply to new materials being selected.
- Copies of materials already in the Libraries collections will be accepted and may be added at the discretion of the librarians.
- Appraisal of gift materials is the responsibility of the donor. The UAB Libraries do not appraise gifts.
- Donated materials become property of UAB Libraries.
Procedures for Receiving Gifts
The donor must sign and return the Gift Agreement Form. By signing, the donor
- acknowledges and agrees to the conditions of this Gift Policy;
- transfers and assigns titles and rights to the material, free of restrictions, to the UAB Libraries; and
- attests that he/she has the full power and authority to do so.
A Gift Acknowledgement Letter and a copy of the Gift Agreement Form will be sent to the donor to formalize receipt of the gift. A list of items donated will be sent along with the letter and agreement form at the donor’s request.
Prospective donors should contact Wanda Stevenson at Mervyn H. Sterne Library (205.934.6368) or Mary Wilson at Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences (205.934.2299).
[Revised: June 17, 2015]