Major areas of research include:
- Acute Lung Injury and Repair;
- Trauma with a special emphasis of coagulation;
- Basic Mechanisms of bladder hyperalgesia and mitigation of interstitial cystitis; and
- Outcomes research with an emphasis on the Surgical Home.
Sadis Matalon, Ph.D., Dr.Sc. (Hon.)
Distinguished Professor and Alice McNeal Endowed Chair of Anesthesiology
Vice Chair for Research
UAB Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Active Research Projects
- Involvement of inflammatory mediators and coagulation to the pathophysiology of acute lung injury and adult respiratory distress syndrome (Dr. Jean-Francois Pittet, Dr. Brant Wagener, Dr. Sadis Matalon)
- Basic mechanisms of coagulation abnormalities after severe trauma-hemorrhage (Dr. Jean-Francois Pittet, Dr. Brant Wagener)
- Basic and translational studies on antioxidant supplementation in the prevention and mitigation of lung injury (Dr. Sadis Matalon, Dr. Jean-Francois Pittet)
- Basic mechanisms of acute lung injury induced by pathogenic bacteria (Dr. Sadis Matalon, Dr. Jean-Francois Pittet)
- Bladder hyperalgesia and mitigation of interstitial cystitis (Dr. Timothy Ness, Dr. Meredith Robbins)
- Regulation of endothelial permeability by inflammatory mediators (Dr. Judy Creighton)
- Assessment of sensory perception by functional magnetic resonance imaging (Dr. Michael Froelich)
- Predictors of health related quality of life in pediatric pain (Dr. Thomas Vetter)
- Outcomes research with a special emphasis on assessing the effectiveness of the Surgical Home (Dr. Thomas Vetter, Dr. Arthur Boudreaux, Dr. Jean-Francois Pittet and Dr. Keith A. (Tony) Jones)
- Ventilator induced lung injury to distal organs (Dr. Mali Mathru)
- Effects of anesthetics on natural killer cells (Dr. Keith A. (Tony) Jones)
Learn more about our Resident Academic Career Development program.
Learn more about our Resident Mentored Research Experience Track program.
See our departmental grants.
See our RMRET and RACD past and current projects.
Our Strategic Plan