The 2014 Anesthesiology Review Course will feature optional workshops on Saturday, April 26, and Sunday, April 27. Each workshop is an additional $250.
Ultrasound Guided Regional Blocks: Upper and Lower Extremity Blocks
Brandon Brooks, M.D., Associate Professor, UAB Department of Anesthesiology
Saturday, April 26, 1:00 - 4:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 27, 8:00 - 11:30 am (same curriculum)
- Understand ultrasound anatomy as it relates to regional anesthesia
- Use ultrasound guidance to identify nerves relevant to common regional blocks of the upper and lower extremity
- Identify needle position using ultrasound imaging
- Understand approaches to performing upper extremity and lower extremity blocks with ultrasound
Ultrasound Guided Epidural Catheter Placement
Yasser Sakawi, M.D., Professor of Anesthesiology and Director, Obstetric Anesthesia, UAB
Saturday, April 26, 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
- Basic understanding of ultrasound technology
- How ultrasound improves success of epidural placement
- Workshop on how to utilize ultrasound to identify epidural space
Adult Simulation, UAB Hospital: Three Intraoperative Scenarios (Two Sessions Offered at NO COST)
James M. Hunter, Jr., M.D., Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Surgery, UAB, and Jeff Simmons, M.D., Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, UAB
Saturday, April 26, 1:00 - 4:30 pm AND Sunday, April 27, 8:00 - 11:30 am
- Discuss methods of reducing errors and improving teamwork in perioperative crises.
- Practice and improve communication skills in complex clinical situations.
- Recall skills to diagnose and treat rare critical events in the perioperative period.