The UAB Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Resident Mentored Research Experience Track
Download a printer-friendly version
The Resident Mentored Research Experience Track is designed for residents with an interest in academic activities who are willing to work toward the goal of completing a successful research project during their residency. Up to six residents per class will be mentored to conduct basic, translational, or clinical research projects that have a high probability of leading to presentations at national or regional meetings, or publications. Prior research experience is not a prerequisite.
In addition to basic, translational, and clinical research, the resident's efforts can be focused on performance improvement and quality assurance. This program will include didactics, mentored participation in research projects, as well as presentation and publication of those projects. In addition, residents will be mentored in evidence-based medicine techniques and outcomes research.
Residents and their mentor will determine the amount of dedicated research time that will be needed to successfully complete the project and this time will be provided primarily during Clinical Anesthesia Year 3. Residents will receive funding to support presentation of their research results, as a supplement to the Professional Development Account provided to all residents.
The deadline for submission for submission for PGY-3 is March 1.
Applicants should prepare the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Description of research planincludingspecific responsibilities andtimeline/requested research time(1-2 pages) and addressing the following questions:
- Background: What is the deficiency in scientific/clinical knowledge that this project will address?
- Hypothesis:What is the hypothesis that is proposed to address this deficiency?
- Aims:What are the Aims of the project and how would successful achievement of these Aims test the hypothesis?
- Evaluation of Progress:What are the specific goalposts that will be monitored to evaluate progress, both as the project proceeds and also upon completion?
- Letter of recommendation from research mentor
Applications will be reviewed and final selections made by the Department of Anesthesiology Resident Research Oversight Committee with input from the Vice Chairs for Research and Education.
Applications should be submitted via email to:
Peter A. Nagi, MD
Jack R. Lancaster, PhD