James Boyce, M.D.
Professor and Medical Director
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
· Difficult Airway Management
· Clinical Anesthesia
· Head & Neck
Education and Degrees
· University of Toronto, Medical Doctor, 1966
· St. Joseph's Hospital, Internship, 1967
· Kingston General Hospital, Anesthesiology Residency, 1974
· Kingston General Hospital, Intensive Care Medicine Fellowship, 1975
· Hotel Dieu Hospital, Internal Medicine Fellowship, 1975
· Queen's University, Pharmacology Research Fellow, 1976
Awards and Honors
· Teacher of the Year, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
· Top 10 Best Teachers, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
· Excellence in Medical Student Teaching Award
· American Society of Anesthesiologists
· Association of Anesthesia Clinical Directors
· Canadian Medical Association
· Christian Medical & Dental Society
· International Anesthesia Research Society
Recent Publications (in last 5 years)
· Boyce JR, Ness T, Castroman P, Gleysteen JJ. A preliminary study of the optimal anesthesia positioning for the morbidly obese patient. Obes Surg. 2003 Feb;13(1):4-9.
· Boyce JR, Peters GE. Complete vasomotor collapse: an unusual manifestation of the carotid sinus reflex. Anesthesiology. 2003 May;98(5):1285-7
· Boyce JR, Waite PD, Louis PJ, Ness TJ. Transnasal jet ventilation is a useful adjunct to teach fibreoptic intubation: a preliminary report. Can J Anaesth. 2003 Dec;50(10):1056-60.
· Boyce JR: Poor Man's LMA: An alternative approach to the patient who is difficult to mask ventilate. California Society of Anesthesiologists Bulletin 2004;53:73-5.
· Boyce JR, Peters GE, Carroll WR, Magnuson JS, McCrory A, Boudreaux AM. Preemptive vessel dilator cricothyrotomy aids in the management of upper airway obstruction. Can J Anaesth. 2005 Aug-Sep;52(7):765-9