Jack Lancaster, Ph.D.
Education and Degrees
- University of Tennessee Center for the Health Sciences, Doctor of Philosophy, Biochemistry, 1974.
Awards and Honors (undergraduate education to current)
- National Science Foundation Predoctoral Trainee
- Established Investigatorship Award of the American Heart Association
- Bronze Prize of Excellence awarded by the Society of National Association Publications for "Nitric Oxide in Cells", American Scientist 1992;80:248-259
- National Speaker, Sigma Xi (the Scientific Research Society)
- Member, Special Review Committee, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Alexandria, VA
- Founder and Developer, The Nitric Oxide Home Page on the World Wide Web (http://www.nitricoxide.ws)
- Co-Organizer, First Gordon Research Conference on the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Nitric Oxide, Jan. 29-Feb. 3, Ventura, CA
- Distinguished Speaker and Honors Lecturer, University of Tennessee Martin, April 8-9, 1996
Co-Founder, Vice President and Secretary, The Nitric Oxide Society Associate Editor, Nitric Oxide: Chemistry and BiologyCo-Organizer, Workshop on "Nitric Oxide, Cytochromes P450 and Sexual Steroid Hormones", Ernst Schering Research Foundation, Oct. 9-11, Berkeley, CA
Co-Organizer, "EPR Spectroscopy of Nitric Oxide in Biological Systems", December 11-15, Suzdal, Russia.
- American Association of University Professors
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
- Biophysical Society
- Sigma Xi (President, USU Chapter, 1989)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- The Nitric Oxide Society (1996-1998, Vice President; 1998-2000, President)
- Brookes PS, Kraus DW, Shiva S, Doeller JE, Barone MC, Patel RP, Lancaster JR Jr, Darley-Usmar V.Control of mitochondrial respiration by NO*, effects of low oxygen and respiratory state. J Biol Chem. 2003 Aug 22;278(34):31603-9.
- Doeller JE, Isbell TS, Benavides G, Koenitzer J, Patel H, Patel RP, Lancaster JR Jr, Darley-Usmar VM, Kraus DW. Polarographic measurement of hydrogen sulfide production and consumption by mammalian tissues. Anal Biochem. 2005 Jun 1;341(1):40-51.
- Schopfer FJ, Baker PR, Giles G, Chumley P, Batthyany C, Crawford J, Patel RP, Hogg N, Branchaud BP, Lancaster JR Jr, Freeman BA. Fatty acid transduction of nitric oxide signaling. Nitrolinoleic acid is a hydrophobically stabilized nitric oxide donor. J Biol Chem. 2005 May 13;280(19):19289-97.
- Le X, Wei D, Huang S, Lancaster JR Jr, Xie K. Nitric oxide synthase II suppresses the growth and metastasis of human cancer regardless of its up-regulation of protumor factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005 Jun 14;102(24):8758-63.
- Chen L, Patel RP, Teng X, Bosworth CA, Lancaster JR Jr, Matalon S. Mechanisms of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator activation by S-nitrosoglutathione. J Biol Chem. 2006 Apr 7;281(14):9190-9.
- Kelley EE, Hock T, Khoo NK, Richardson GR, Johnson KK, Powell PC, Giles GI, Agarwal A, Lancaster JR Jr, Tarpey MM. Moderate hypoxia induces xanthine oxidoreductase activity in arterial endothelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2006 Mar 15;40(6):952-9.
- Griguer CE, Oliva CR, Kelley EE, Giles GI, Lancaster JR Jr, Gillespie GY. Xanthine oxidase-dependent regulation of hypoxia-inducible factor in cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2006 Feb 15;66(4):2257-63.
- Lancaster JR Jr. Nitroxidative, nitrosative, and nitrative stress: kinetic predictions of reactive nitrogen species chemistry under biological conditions. Chem Res Toxicol. 2006 Sep;19(9):1160-74.
- Koenitzer JR, Isbell TS, Patel HD, Benavides GA, Dickinson DA, Patel RP, Darley-Usmar VM, Lancaster JR Jr, Doeller JE, Kraus DW. Hydrogen sulfide mediates vasoactivity in an O2-dependent manner. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007 Apr;292(4):H1953-60.
- Möller MN, Li Q, Vitturi DA, Robinson JM, Lancaster JR Jr, Denicola A. Membrane "lens" effect: focusing the formation of reactive nitrogen oxides from the *NO/O2 reaction. Chem Res Toxicol. 2007 Apr;20(4):709-14.
- Joshi MS, Ferguson TB Jr, Johnson FK, Johnson RA, Parthasarathy S, Lancaster JR Jr. Receptor-mediated activation of nitric oxide synthesis by arginine in endothelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jun 12;104(24):9982-7.
- Singh A, Guidry L, Narasimhulu KV, Mai D, Trombley J, Redding KE, Giles GI, Lancaster JR Jr, Steyn AJ. Mycobacterium tuberculosis WhiB3 responds to O2 and nitric oxide via its [4Fe-4S] cluster and is essential for nutrient starvation survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jul 10;104(28):11562-7.
- Kumar A, Toledo JC, Patel RP, Lancaster JR Jr, Steyn AJ. Mycobacterium tuberculosis DosS is a redox sensor and DosT is a hypoxia sensor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jul 10;104(28):11568-73.