William A. Lell, M.D.–Paul N. Samuelson, M.D., Endowed Professorship in Anesthesiology
Professor of Anesthesiology, Neurology, and Psychology
Division of Pain Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Please see Dr. Wesselmann's lab page.
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
- Urogenital and pelvic pain in women
- Pain in breast cancer survivors
- Pain and racial health disparities
- Women’s Health
Education and Degrees
- Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Germany, Medical Doctor, 1983
- London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Great Britain, DTM&H (Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene), 1985
- Physiological Institute, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Germany, PhD in Neurophysiology, 1987
Research and Post-doctoral Fellowship Training
- Physiological Institute, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, Germany, 1983-85 (Research Fellow in Neurophysiology – Mentor: Prof. Dr. med. W. Jänig)
- Baker Medical Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia, 1983 (Visiting Scientist in Autonomic Physiology - Mentor: Prof. E. M. McLachlan)
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Neurology, Milwaukee, WI, 1986-87 (Postdoctoral Fellow in Neurophysiology – Mentor: H. Swick, MD)
- Northwestern University Medical School, Department of Physiology, Chicago, IL, 1987-89 (Postdoctoral Fellow in Physiology – Mentor: W. Zev Rymer, MD PhD)
- Northwestern University Medical School, Department of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 1989-90 (Internal Medicine Internship - PGY-1)
- The University of Chicago, Department of Neurology, Chicago, IL, 1990-93 (Neurology Residency - PGY-2 to PGY-4)
Clinical Pain Fellowship Training
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Departments of Anesthesia and Neurology, Boston, MA, 1993-1994
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neurological Surgery, Baltimore, MD, 1994-1995
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Departments of Neurology and Biomedical Engineering, Baltimore, MD, 1995-2008 (Assistant Professor - 1995-2000; Associate Professor - 2000-2008)
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Birmingham, AL, 2008-present (Professor - 2008-present)
For a more comprehensive listing, please see this PubMed link.
Langenberg, P. W., E. E. Wallach, D. J. Clauw, F. M. Howard, C. M. Diggs, U. Wesselmann, P. Greenberg and J. W. Warren, Pelvic pain and surgeries in women before interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., 202, 286.e1-6, 2010.
Van Lankveld, J. J., M. Granot, W. C. Weijmar Schultz, Y. M. Binik, U. Wesselmann, C. F. Pukall, N. Bohm-Starke and C. Achtari, Women’s Sexual Pain Disorders. J. Sex. Med., 7, 615-631, 2010.
Warren, J. W., U. Wesselmann, V. Morozov and P. W. Langenberg, Numbers and types of non-bladder syndromes as risk factors for interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. Urology, 77, 313-319, 2011.
Warren, J. W., D. J. Clauw, U. Wesselmann, P. W. Langenberg, F. M. Howard and V. Morozov, Sexuality and reproductive risk factors for interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome in women. Urology, 77, 570-575, 2011.
Hanno, P. M., D. A. Burks, J. Q. Clemens, R. R. Dmochowski, D. Erickson, M. P. Fitzgerald, J. B. Forrest, B. Gordon, M. Gray, R. D. Mayer, D. Newman, L. Jr. Nyberg, C. K. Payne, U. Wesselmann and M. M. Faraday, AUA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome. J. Urol., 185, 2162-2170, 2011.
Baranowski, A. P., P. Abrams, R. Berger, C. A. T. Buffington, B. Collett, A. Emmanuel, M. Fall, P. Hanno, F. M. Howard, J. Hughes, J. C. Nickel, J. Nordling, D. A. Tripp, K. Vincent, U. Wesselmann and A. C. de C. Williams, International Association for the Study of Pain. Classification of chronic pain. Part II: Detailed description of pain syndromes. F: Visceral and other syndromes of the trunk apart from spinal and radicular pain. Group XXIII: Chronic pelvic pain syndromes. Washington: IASP, http://iasp-pain.org/PublicationsNews/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1957&navItemNumber=677, 2012.
Pizzo, P. A., N. M. Clark, O. Carter-Pokras, M. Christopher, J. T. Farrar, K. A. Follett, M. M. Heitkemper, C. Inturrisi, F. Keefe, R. D. Kerns, J. S. Lee, E. Loder, S. MacKey, R. Marinelli, R. Payne, M. Thernstrom, D. C. Turk, U. Wesselmann, and L. K. Zeltzer, Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research. Institute of Medicine Report (Committee on Advancing Pain Research, Care, and Education, Board on Health Sciences Policy), The National Academies Press, 364 pages. 2011
Marson, L., M. A. Giamberardino, R. Costantini, P. Czakanski and U. Wesselmann, Animal models for the study of female sexual dysfunction. Sex. Med. Rev., 1, 108-122, 2013.
Hanno, P. M., D. A. Burks, J. Q. Clemens, R. R. Dmochowski, D. Erickson, M. P. Fitzgerald, J. B. Forrest, B. Gordon, M. Gray, R. D. Mayer, D. K. Newman, L. Jr. Nyberg, C. K. Payne, U. Wesselmann and M. M. Faraday, American Urological Association Guideline: diagnosis and treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome. American Urological Association Education and Research, Inc.,https://www.auanet.org/common/pdf/education/clinical-guidance/IC-Bladder-Pain-Syndrome-Revised.pdf, 2014.
Fillingim, R. B., S. Bruehl, R. H. Dworkin, S. F. Dworkin, J. D. Loeser, D. C. Turk, E. Widerstrom-Noga, L. Arnold, R. Bennett, R. R. Edwards, R. Freeman, J. Gewandter, S. Hertz, M. Hochberg, E. Krane, P. W. Mantyh, J. Markman, T. Neogi, R. Ohrbach, J. A. Paice, F. Porreca, B. A. Rappaport, S. M. Smith, T. J. Smith, M. D. Sullivan, G. N. Verne, A. D. Wasan and U. Wesselmann, The ACCTION-American Pain Society Pain Taxonomy (AAPT): An evidence-based and multi-dimensional approach to classifying chronic pain conditions. J. Pain, 15, 241-249, 2014.
Wesselmann, U., A new paradigm in chronic bladder pain. J. Pain. Palliat. Care Pharmacother., 28, 406-408, 2014.
Wesselmann, U., A. Bonham and D. Foster, Vulvodynia: current state of the biological science. Pain, 155, 1696-1701, 2014.
Warren, J. W., V. Morozov, F. M. Howard, U. Wesselmann, L. Gallicchio, P. Langenberg and D. J. Clauw, Before the onset of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome, the presence of multiple non-bladder syndromes is strongly associated with a history of multiple surgeries. J. Psychosom. Res., 76, 75-79, 2014.
Warren, J. W., U. Wesselmann, P. W. Langenberg and D. J. Clauw, Urinary symptoms as a prodrome of bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis. Urology, 83, 1035-1040, 2014.
Warren, J. W., D. J. Clauw, U. Wesselmann, F. M. Howard, L. Gallicchio and V. Morozov, Functional somatic syndromes as risk factors for hysterectomy in early bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis. J. Psychosom. Res., 77, 363-367, 2014.