Rank and Title(s)
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
ENT / Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
Difficult Airway Management
Clinical Ethics Consultation
Health Services Administration
Education and Degrees
· Louisiana State University, Medical Doctor, 1980
· The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Internship in Medicine, 1981
· The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Anesthesiology Residency, 1983
· Chief Resident, Department of Anesthesiology, 1983
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Quality and Safety, 2014
· University of Michigan Business School, Graduate Certificate in Global Leadership in Healthcare, 2004
Awards and Honors
· Best Doctors in America
· The Academy of Anesthesiology
· AAAA Distinguished Service by a Physician Award, American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants
· Teacher of the Year, Department of Anesthesiology, UAB
· Top Ten Teachers of the Year, Department of Anesthesiology, UAB
· Alpha Omega Alpha
· American Society of Anesthesiologists
· The Academy of Anesthesiology
· International Anesthesia Research Society
· Alabama State Society of Anesthesiologists
· American Medical Association
· Medical Association of the State of Alabama
· Jefferson County Medical Society
· Jefferson County Society of Anesthesiologists
· UAB Anesthesia Alumni Association (President, 1987)
· Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Boudreaux AM, Vetter TR: A Primer on Population Health Management and its Perioperative Application.Anesthesia & Anesthesia 123(1), July 2016 (Published ahead of print May 2016)
Vetter TR, Hunter JM, Boudreaux AM. Preoperative management of antiplatelet drugs for a coronary artery stent: how can we hit a moving target? BMC
Anesthesiology 2014 Sep; 14:73.
Vetter TR , Downing ME, Vanlandingham SE, Noles KM, Boudreaux AM. Predictors of patient medication compliance on the day of surgery and the effects of providing patients with standardized yet simplified medication Instructions. Anesthesiology. 2014 Jul;121(1):29-35
Vetter TR, Boudreaux AM, Jones KA, Hunter JM, Pittet JF. The Perioperative Surgical Home: How Anesthesiology Can Collaboratively Achieve and Leverage the Triple Aim in Health Care. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2014, 118 (5): 1131-6
Vetter T, Goedell L, Boudreaux A, Hunt T, Jones K, Pittet J. The perioperative surgical home: how it can make the case so everyone wins. BMC Anesthesiology 2013 Mar; 13(6).
Boudreaux AM, Vetter TR. The creation and impact of a dedicated section on quality and patient safety in a clinical academic department. Academic Medicine 2013 Feb; 88(2):173-8.
Vetter, TR, Ali, N, Boudreaux, AM. A Case-Control Study of an Intraoperative Corneal Abrasion Prevention Program: Holding the Gains Made with a Continuous Quality Improvement Effort. Joint Comm J on Quality and Patient Safety 2012 Nov; 38(11):490-496.
Vetter T, Boudreaux A, Papapietro S, Taylor B, and Porterfield J: The perioperative management of patients with coronary artery stents: Surveying the clinical stakeholders and arriving at a consensus regarding optimal care. American Journal of Surgery. 2012 Oct; 204 (4): 433-461.
Heslin, MJ, Doster, BE, Daily, SL, Waldrum, MR, Boudreaux, AM, Smith, AB, Peters, G, Ragan, DB, Buchalter, SE, Bland, KI, and Rue, LW: Durable improvements in efficiency, safety, and satisfaction in the operating room. J Am Coll Surgeons. 2008 May; 206 (5): 1083-1089
Boudreaux, AM. Commentary on Liang, BA. Special doctor's docket. Lethal injection: policy considerations for medicine. J Clin Anesthesia. 2006 Sep; 18(6):466-470.
Boyce JR, Peters GE, Carroll WR, Magnuson JS, McCrory A, Boudreaux AM. Preemptive vessel dilator cricothyrotomy aids in the management of upper airway obstruction. Can J Anaesth. 2005 Aug-Sep;52(7):765-9
Boudreaux, AM: Medical Ethics; 39 (3) International Anesthesiology Clinics, Book Review. Anesth Analg94:1046-1047, 2002.
Boudreaux AM, Tilden SJ. Ethical dilemmas for pediatric surgical patients. Anesthesiol Clin North America. 2002 Mar;20(1):227-40