Karen Iles, Ph.D.
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
· The role of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species in pulmonary damage and disease
· Redox signaling and the regulation of cytoprotective gene products
· The role and regulation of glutathione in pulmonary protection and disease
· The role of heme oxygenase-1 in pulmonary pathologies
Education and Degrees
· University of Guelph, M.S., 1992
· University of Guelph, Ph.D., 1999
· University of Southern California, Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1999
· University of Alabama at Birmingham, Department of Environmental Health Science, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1999-2003
Awards and Honors
· Chancellor's Entrance Scholarship, McMaster University
· Graduate Entrance Scholarship, University of Guelph (PhD degree)
· Alma Mater Scholarship, University of Guelph (PhD degree)
· Vaughan Medal University of Guelph (PhD degree)
· Young Investigator Award, Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine
· Society for Free Radical Biology and Medicine
· The Biochemical Society
· The American Heart Association
· Vayalil PK, Iles KE, Choi J, Yi AK, Postlethwait EM, Liu RM. Glutathione suppresses TGF-beta-induced PAI-1 expression by inhibiting p38 and JNK MAPK and the binding of AP-1, SP-1, and Smad to the PAI-1 promoter. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Nov;293(5):L1281-92
· Liu H, Zhang H, Iles KE, Rinna A, Merrill G, Yodoi J, Torres M, Forman HJ. The ADP-stimulated NADPH oxidase activates the ASK-1/MKK4/JNK pathway in alveolar macrophages. Free Radic Res. 2006 Aug;40(8):865-74.
· Wright MM, Schopfer FJ, Baker PR, Vidyasagar V, Powell P, Chumley P, Iles KE, Freeman BA, Agarwal A. Fatty acid transduction of nitric oxide signaling: nitrolinoleic acid potently activates endothelial heme oxygenase 1 expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Mar 14;103(11):4299-304
· Zhang H, Liu H, Iles KE, Liu RM, Postlethwait EM, Laperche Y, Forman HJ. 4-Hydroxynonenal induces rat gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase through mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated electrophile response element/nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 signaling. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006 Feb;34(2):174-81
· Baker PR, Lin Y, Schopfer FJ, Woodcock SR, Groeger AL, Batthyany C, Sweeney S, Long MH, Iles KE, Baker LM, Branchaud BP, Chen YE, Freeman BA. Fatty acid transduction of nitric oxide signaling: multiple nitrated unsaturated fatty acid derivatives exist in human blood and urine and serve as endogenous peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ligands. J Biol Chem. 2005 Dec 23;280(51):42464-75
· Iles KE, Dickinson DA, Wigley AF, Welty NE, Blank V, Forman HJ. HNE increases HO-1 through activation of the ERK pathway in pulmonary epithelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005 Aug 1;39(3):355-64
· Iles KE, Liu RM. Mechanisms of glutamate cysteine ligase (GCL) induction by 4-hydroxynonenal. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005 Mar 1;38(5):547-56
· Krzywanski DM, Dickinson DA, Iles KE, Wigley AF, Franklin CC, Liu RM, Kavanagh TJ, Forman HJ. Variable regulation of glutamate cysteine ligase subunit proteins affects glutathione biosynthesis in response to oxidative stress. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004 Mar 1;423(1):116-25
· Dickinson DA, Iles KE, Wigley AF, Forman HJ. Analysis of transcription factor remodeling in phase II gene expression with curcumin. Methods Enzymol. 2004;378:302-18.
· Dickinson DA, Iles KE, Zhang H, Blank V, Forman HJ. Curcumin alters EpRE and AP-1 binding complexes and elevates glutamate-cysteine ligase gene expression. FASEB J. 2003 Mar;17(3):473-5.
· Dickinson DA, Moellering DR, Iles KE, Patel RP, Levonen AL, Wigley A, Darley-Usmar VM, Forman HJ. Cytoprotection against oxidative stress and the regulation of glutathione synthesis. Biol Chem. 2003 Apr;384(4):527-37
· Forman HJ, Dickinson DA, Iles KE. HNE--signaling pathways leading to its elimination. Mol Aspects Med. 2003 Aug-Oct;24(4-5):189-94