Chair, UAB Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Professor and Alfred Habeeb Endowed Chair
Division: Multispecialty Anesthesia
Clinical Interests: neuroanesthesia; liver transplantation
Education and Training
- University of Alabama School of Medicine, Medical Doctor, 1986
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Anesthesiology Residency, 1990
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Subspecialty Training in Neuroanesthesia, 1990
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, National Institutes of Health Research Fellowship, 1990
Awards and Honors
- Alpha Phi Alpha Scholastic Achievement Award
- Chemistry Honors Program, University of Alabama
- Midwest Anesthesia Residents Conference Award for Basic Science
- Morton Society
- Alabama State Society of Anesthesiology
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Subcommittee on Anesthetic Action and Biochemistry
- Board of Trustees of the International Anesthesia Research Society
- Minnesota Society of Anesthesiologists
- Biophysical Society
- American Physiological Society
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
For the most recent list of publications, please see PubMed.
- Yoshimura H, Jones KA, Perkins WJ, Warner DO. Dual effects of hexanol and halothane on the regulation of calcium sensitivity in airway smooth muscle. Anesthesiology. 2003 Apr;98(4):871-80.
- Perkins WJ, Lorenz RR, Bogoger M, Warner DO, Cremo CR, Jones KA. A novel mechanism by which hydrogen peroxide decreases calcium sensitivity in airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2003 Feb;284(2):L324-32
- Streiff J, Jones K, Perkins WJ, Warner DO, Jones KA. Effect of halothane on the guanosine 5' triphosphate binding activity of G-protein alphai subunits.Anesthesiology. 2003 Jul;99(1):105-11
- Streiff J, Warner DO, Klimtchuk E, Perkins WJ, Jones K, Jones KA. The effects of hexanol on Galpha(i) subunits of heterotrimeric G proteins.Anesth Analg Mar;98(3):660-7
- Sakihara C, Perkins WJ, Warner DO, Jones KA. Anesthetics inhibit acetylcholine-promoted guanine nucleotide exchange of heterotrimeric G proteins of airway smooth muscle. Anesthesiology. 2004 Jul;101(1):120-6
- Streiff JH, Juranic NO, Macura SI, Warner DO, Jones KA, Perkins WJ. Saturation transfer difference nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy as a method for screening proteins for anesthetic binding. Mol Pharmacol. 2004 Oct;66(4):929-35
- Bai TR, Bates JH, Brusasco V, Camoretti-Mercado B, Chitano P, Deng LH, Dowell M, Fabry B, Ford LE, Fredberg JJ, Gerthoffer WT, Gilbert SH, Gunst SJ, Hai CM, Halayko AJ, Hirst SJ, James AL, Janssen LJ, Jones KA, King GG, Lakser OJ, Lambert RK, Lauzon AM, Lutchen KR, Maksym GN, Meiss RA, Mijailovich SM, Mitchell HW, Mitchell RW, Mitzner W, Murphy TM, Paré PD, Schellenberg RR, Seow CY, Sieck GC, Smith PG, Smolensky AV, Solway J, Stephens NL, Stewart AG, Tang DD, Wang L. On the terminology for describing the length-force relationship and its changes in airway smooth muscle. J Appl Physiol. 2004 Dec;97(6):2029-34.
- Nakayama T, Hayashi M, Warner DO, Jones KA. Anesthetics inhibit membrane receptor coupling to the Gq/11 heterotrimeric G protein in airway smooth muscle. Anesthesiology. 2005 Aug;103(2):296-305
- Hayashi M, Penheiter SG, Nakayama T, Penheiter AR, Warner DO, Jones KA. Halothane does not inhibit the functional coupling between the beta2-adrenergic receptor and the Galphas heterotrimeric G protein. Anesthesiology. 2006 Apr;104(4):754-62.
- Nakayama T, Penheiter AR, Penheiter SG, Chini EN, Thompson M, Warner DO, Jones KA. Differential effects of volatile anesthetics on M3 muscarinic receptor coupling to the Galphaq heterotrimeric G protein. Anesthesiology. 2006 Aug;105(2):313-24
- Kwak YL, Jones KA, Warner DO, Perkins WJ. Prolonged relaxation consistent with persistent soluble guanylyl cyclase activation in canine pulmonary artery following brief treatment with nitric oxide donors. Life Sci. 2006 Oct 19;79(21):2001-9. Epub 2006 Jun 29
- Jin F, Wang S, Spencer JD, Penheiter SG, Streiff JH, Penheiter AR, Warner DO, Jones KA. Effect of halothane on galphai-3 and its coupling to the M2 muscarinic receptor. Anesthesiology. 2005 Nov;103(5):1015-25.
- Kwak YL, Jones KA, Warner DO, Perkins WJ. NO responsiveness in pulmonary artery and airway smooth muscle: the role of cGMP regulation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):L200-8
- Streiff JH, Allen TW, Atanasova E, Juranic N, Macura S, Penheiter AR, Jones KA. Prediction of volatile anesthetic binding sites in proteins. Biophys J. 2006 Nov 1;91(9):3405-14.
- Taniguchi M, Kwak YL, Jones KA, Warner DO, Perkins WJ. Nitric oxide sensitivity in pulmonary artery and airway smooth muscle: a possible role for cGMP responsiveness. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006 May;290(5):L1018-27
- Penheiter AR, Bogoger M, Ellison PA, Oswald B, Perkins WJ, Jones KA, Cremo CR. H(2)O(2)-induced kinetic and chemical modifications of smooth muscle myosin: correlation to effects of H(2)O(2) on airway smooth muscle. J Biol Chem. 2007 Feb 16;282(7):4336-44
- Perkins WJ, Taniguchi M, Warner DO, Chini EN, Jones KA. Reduction in soluble guanylyl cyclase-specific activity following prolonged treatment of porcine pulmonary artery with nitric oxide. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Jul;293(1):L84-95.
- Perkins WJ, Warner DO, Jones KA, et al. Prolonged Treatment of Porcine pulmonary artery with nitric oxide decreases cGMP sensitivity and cGMP - dependent protein kinase specific activity. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296(1): L121-9, 2009