Mali Mathru, M.D.
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
- Critical Care Medicine
- Mechanisms of upper airway obstruction during anesthesia
- Molecular mechanisms in reperfusion injury
- Heart and lung interaction
- Right heart dysfunction
- Lung injury during mechanical ventilation - molecular mechanisms
- Anemia - regional oxygen delivery
Education and Degrees
· Jawaharlal Institute, Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, 1968
· Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, Internship with Special emphasis in surgery, 1971
· Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, Anesthesiology Residency, 1974
· Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, Fellowship in Respiratory Therapy, 1974
Awards and Honors
· Fellow, College of Chest Physicians
· American Society of Anesthesiologists
· Association of University Anesthesiologists
· Alabama State Society of Anesthesiologists
· Huda R, Vergara LA, Solanki DR, Sherwood ER, Mathru M. Selective activation of protein kinase C delta in human neutrophils following ischemia reperfusion of skeletal muscle. Shock. 2004 Jun;21(6):500-4
· Huda R, Solanki DR, Mathru M. Inflammatory and redox responses to ischaemia/reperfusion in human skeletal muscle. Clin Sci (Lond). 2004 Nov;107(5):497-503
· Huda R, Chung DH, Mathru M.Ischemic preconditioning at a distance: altered gene expression in mouse heart and other organs following brief occlusion of the mesenteric artery. Heart Lung Circ. 2005 Mar;14(1):36-43
· Mathru M, Lang JD. Endothelial dysfunction in trauma patients: a preliminary communication. Shock. 2005 Sep;24(3):210-3
· Mathru M, Pollard V, He G, Varma TK, Ahmad M, Prough DS. Left ventricular diastolic filling characteristics are not impaired but systolic performance was augmented in the early hours of experimental endotoxemia in humans. Shock. 2006 Apr;25(4):338-43
· Mathru M, Solanki DR, Woodson LC, Funston JS, Ozkan O, Henkel SN, Wang D, Gore D, Prough DS. Splanchnic oxygen consumption is impaired during severe acute normovolemic anemia in anesthetized humans. Anesthesiology. 2006 Jul;105(1):37-44.
· Huda, R.; Jamaluddin, M.; Solanki, D.R.; Mathru, M. p38 MAPK inhibition protects monocytic THP-1 cells from TNF toxicity by ERK activiation. J Biol Chem, (Submitted, April 2006)
· Mathru M, Huda R, Solanki DR, Hays S, Lang JD. Inhaled nitric oxide attenuates reperfusion inflammatory responses in humans. Anesthesiology. 2007 Feb;106(2):275-82
· Kuna, S; Mathru, M, et al. Effect of mandibular advancement using a prosthetic device on pharyngeal critical pressure, airway compliance. Anesthesiology. (Accepted for publication 2008)
· Tao W, Mathru M. Gut mucosal blood flow: regional regulation or systemic pressure dependence? Chest. 2003 Aug;124(2):427-8
· Mali Mathru, MD, Ruksana Huda, PhD, Dai Chung, MD. Ischemic preconditioning at a distance: Myocardial and kidney genomic responses in mice by brief occlusion of the mesenteric artery. Scandinavian Society of Anesthesia & Intensive Care Annual Meeting, 2003
· Ruksana Huda, PhD, Leoncio A. Vergara, MD, Daneshvari R. Solanki, FRCA, Edward R. Sherwood, MD, PhD, Mali Mathru, MD. Selective activation of protein kinase C Delta in human neutrophils following ischemia reperfusion of skeletal muscle. Scandinavian Society of Anesthesia & Intensive Care Annual Meeting, 2003.
· Jessie Benson, DO, Mali Mathru, MD, John Lang, MD. Inhaled nitric oxide attenuates lower extremity ischemia reperfusion inflammatory responses in humans. American Society of Anesthesiology Annual Meeting, 2005.