Maurice S. Albin Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
Vice Chair and Director, Division of Pain Medicine
Medical Director, UAB Preoperative Assessment, Consultation, and Treatment Clinic
Professor of Gerontology, Geriatrics, and Palliative Care
Professor of Pediatrics
University of Alabama School of Medicine
Professor of Health Policy and Organization
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health
Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Anesthesia & Analgesia
Clinical Subspecialty and Area(s) of Interest
· Pediatric Pain Management and Treatment
· Adult Pain Management and Treatment
· Health Policy and Organization
Education and Degrees
· Ohio State University College of Medicine, Medical Doctor, 1984
· University of Florida College of Medicine, Pediatric Residency, 1986
· University of Florida College of Medicine, Anesthesiology Residency, 1988
· Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pediatric Anesthesia & Critical Care Fellowship, 1989
· University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Medical Acupuncture for Physicians, 1999
· Harvard Medical School, Clinical Training Program in Mind/Body Medicine, 2003
· Indiana University School of Public & Environmental Affairs, Physician Leadership Program, 2005
· Emory University, Rollins School of Public Health, Masters in Public Health, 2007
Awards and Honors
· Delta Omega: National honorary society for graduate studies in public health, May 2007
· American Society of Anesthesiologists
· Alabama State Society of Anesthesiologists
· Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
· International Anesthesia Research Society
· International Association for the Study of Pain
Recent PublicationsVetter TR, McGwin G: Fast Food Nation and Fast Track Arthroplasties: Can We Have Our Cake and Eat It Too? Anesthesia & Analgesia 120(1):5-7; 2015.
Vetter TR, Pittet JF: Perioperative Medicine: A Panacea or Pandora’s Box for Anesthesiology? Anesthesia & Analgesia 120(5):968-73; 2015.
Vetter TR: The Pediatric Perioperative Surgical Home: Children and Adolescents Should Not Have to Wait Again for Their Turn. Anesthesia & Analgesia 120(5):974-7;2015.
Goeddel LA, Porterfield JR, Hall JD, Vetter TR: Ethical Opportunities with the Perioperative Surgical Home: Disruptive Innovation, Patient-Centered Care, Shared Decision-Making, Health Literacy, and Futility of Care. Anesthesia & Analgesia 120(5):1158-62; 2015.
Cline K, Roopani R, Kash B, Vetter TR: Residency Board Certification Requirements and Preoperative Surgical Home Activities in the United States: Comparing Anesthesiology, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Surgery. Anesthesia & Analgesia 120(6):1420-5; 2015.
Vetter TR, Redden DT: The Power and Perils of Big Data: It All Depends on How You Slice, Dice, and Digest It. Anesthesia & Analgesia 121(9):582-5; 2015.
Vetter TR, Jones KA: Perioperative Surgical Home: Perspective II. In Value-Based Care (Fleisher LA, Guest Editor), Anesthesiology Clinics 33(4):771-784, 2015.
Vetter TR, Barman J, Boudreaux AM, Jones KA: Perceptions about the Relative Importance of Patient Care-Related Topics: A Single Institutional Survey of Its Anesthesiologists, Nurse Anesthetists, and Surgeons. BMC Anesthesiology BMC Anesthesiology.2016, 16:19.
Vetter TR, Mascha EJ, Kilgore ML: Physician Supervision of Nurse Anesthetists: To Opt In or To Opt Out? Anesthesia & Anesthesia 122(6), June, 2016 [Accepted, in press].
Pittet JF, Vetter TR: Continuing the Terra Firma and Establishing a New Equator for Anesthesia & Analgesia, Anesthesia & Analgesia 123(1), July 2016 [Accepted, in press].
Boudreaux AM, Vetter TR: A Primer on Population Health Management and its Perioperative Application. Anesthesia & Anesthesia 123(1), July 2016 [Accepted, in press].
Vetter TR, McGwin G, Pittet JF: Research: Replicability, Reproducibility, and Fragility of Findings—Ultimately, Caveat Emptor. Anesthesia & Anesthesia 123(1), July 2016[Accepted, in press].