Faculty Promotion & Tenure
Helpful Hints for DOM Junior Faculty
- Find a Mentor – The Department of Medicine (DOM) Junior Faculty Mentoring Program was created provide junior faculty with the opportunity to learn and receive guidance from senior faculty and seasoned researchers in the areas of grantsmanship, funding opportunities and career development issues.
- Maintain Your CV – Keep it up-to-date in the required format.
- Create Portfolios – Begin immediately, as soon as you are “on board”, to create and maintain portfolios for teaching, research and service. Document concurrently everything that you do – all activities. The Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (APT) “package” should be built over several years.
- Critique APT Package – Have your APT “package” critiqued by several faculty members prior to submitting to the DOM APT Committee. Incorporate changes as needed.
- Review Examples – Review examples of a good packet (blazerid required) and common mistakes and suggestions.
2014 Promotion-Tenure Award Information
- Memo from Dean Vickers
- 2014 Promotion and Tenure Award Cycle
- Faculty Promotion and Tenure Award Guidelines
- Promotion and Tenure Award Instructions
- Portfolio requirements, description and sample
- Candidate Info Sheet - Word or PDF
- Promotion and Tenure Action Summary Form (modified May 2011)
- Promotion Packets – Common Issues & Suggestions
- Dean Rich’s inforMED Newsletter, June 15, 2006, re: Appointment, Promotion and Tenure
- Sample Promotion Packet (BlazerID login required)
- SOM Standardized Curriculum Vitae Format
- DOM Request for Faculty Evaluation
- SOM Teaching Evaluation Form
- Template – Promotion Packet Dividers
- Promotion Packet Dividers with Bookmarks
- Instructions for Division Admins: Creating & Uploading Promotion Packets (modified Jan 2013)
- 2014 DOM APTC Calendar
Seminars & Resources
- School of Medicine Promotion and Tenure Video Seminars
- DOM Promotion & Tenure Workshop – UAB School of Medicine, DOM Junior Faculty Meeting, November 2012 – Dr Stuart Frank
- UAB School of Medicine Faculty Development
- SOM Promotion and Tenure Process Overview - Lori McMahon, PhD, Professor of Physiology & Biophysics, Co-Chair, Faculty Council