Faculty Promotion & Tenure
Helpful Hints for DOM Junior Faculty
- Maintain Your CV – Keep it up-to-date in the required format.
- Create Portfolios – Begin immediately, as soon as you are “on board”, to create and maintain portfolios for teaching, research and service. Document concurrently everything that you do – all activities. The Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure (APT) “package” should be built over several years.
- Critique APT Package – Have your APT “package” critiqued by several faculty members prior to submitting to the DOM APT Committee. Incorporate changes as needed.
- Review Examples – Review examples of a good packet (blazerid required) and common mistakes and suggestions.
2014 Promotion-Tenure Award Information
- Memo from Dean Vickers
- 2014 Promotion and Tenure Award Cycle
- Faculty Promotion and Tenure Award Guidelines
- Promotion and Tenure Award Instructions
- Portfolio requirements, description and sample
- Candidate Info Sheet - Word or PDF
- Promotion and Tenure Action Summary Form (modified May 2011)
- Promotion Packets – Common Issues & Suggestions
- Dean Rich’s inforMED Newsletter, June 15, 2006, re: Appointment, Promotion and Tenure
- Sample Promotion Packet (BlazerID login required)
- SOM Standardized Curriculum Vitae Format
- DOM Request for Faculty Evaluation
- SOM Teaching Evaluation Form
- Template – Promotion Packet Dividers
- Promotion Packet Dividers with Bookmarks
- Instructions for Division Admins: Creating & Uploading Promotion Packets (modified Jan 2013)
- 2014 DOM APTC Calendar
Seminars & Resources
- School of Medicine Promotion and Tenure Video Seminars
- DOM Promotion & Tenure Workshop – UAB School of Medicine, DOM Junior Faculty Meeting, November 2012 – Dr Stuart Frank
- SOM Promotion and Tenure Process Overview - Lori McMahon, PhD, Professor of Physiology & Biophysics, Co-Chair, Faculty Council