The UAB Department of Medicine gratefully accepts gifts to support its divisions, centers and programs. UAB is a 501(c)(3) organization, so gifts to the Department of Medicine are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Gifts may be made in several forms, including:
- Cash: Cash gifts provide immediate benefits to the institution. The actual cost to the donor may be reduced by tax savings achieved through a charitable contribution deduction.
- Pledges: UAB accepts pledges payable over a period of up to five years. Pledges may be paid in equal or varying amounts, according to the donor’s wishes or convenience.
- Appreciated Marketable Securities: Giving appreciated securities (stocks) may have special tax advantages. Within limitations, the donor may avoid the capital gains tax and be eligible for a charitable deduction for the full market value of such securities at the time of the gift. Contributions in excess of the limitations may be eligible for carryover to future tax years.
- Real Estate and Personal Property: Gifts of real estate and other personal property generally have the advantages described for gifts of securities, provided the property is a long-term capital asset in the hands of the donor. The donor’s qualified appraiser must determine fair market value for income tax purposes.
- Bequests: UAB is especially grateful to the many generous friends who have made gifts through their wills or estate plans. For information on how to accomplish this, and for suggested language to use in testamentary documents, please call Virginia Gilbert Loftin, Director of Development, at (205) 975-5602.
- Planned Gifts: Planned giving allows the donor to make a gift and enjoy the benefits of federal and state tax provisions. This favorable tax treatment may offer you ways to make more significant gifts than you might have otherwise thought possible. With careful planning, it is possible to reduce or eliminate income taxes, capital gain taxes, and other “transfer” taxes such as estate taxes, gift taxes, and generation-skipping taxes. Through some gift options, you can enjoy these tax savings while converting appreciated assets into an income for yourself or others.
UAB will be happy to provide further information about these or other types of gifts, tailored to fit your individual financial situation and charitable objectives. Because aspects of some giving methods are highly technical or subject to different tax consequences based upon individual circumstances, UAB encourages you to consult with an attorney, accountant, or other qualified advisor. UAB welcomes the opportunity to work with these professionals to accomplish your objectives.
To download a printable gift form, click here.
To make a gift by credit card, or for information on how to make a gift through your estate plan, please call (205) 975-5659.
Virginia Gilbert Loftin
Executive Director of Development and Strategic Planning
UAB School of Medicine
Office: (205) 975-5602
Mobile: (205) 223-7141
Assistant: Jo Self, (205) 975-5659
Fax: (205) 975-5699
1720 2nd Ave South
Birmingham, AL 35294-3412
510 20th Street South
Faculty Office Tower, Room 1230
Birmingham, AL 35233