Robert A. Oster, PhD
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 642
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-3376
Fax: (205) 934-4262
Categorical Data Analysis
Longitudinal Data Analysis
Clinical Trials Methodology
Modern Statistical Computing Methods
Current Research Projects
P50CA101955 (Buchsbaum) 09/16/2003 – 06/30/2015
NIH/NCI (Oster, PI, Core C)
UAB/UMN SPORE in Pancreatic Cancer
This SPORE project provides statistical support to recipients of the Career Development Program and Developmental Research Program. Dr. Oster serves as the Biostatistics Core director.
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, PhD Biostatistics, 1995
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, MS Statistics, 1986
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, BS Mathematics, 1984
- Associate Editor of Software Reviews for The American Statistician
- Chair of CTSA Biostatistics/Epidemiology/Research Design Education Working Group
- Member of CTSA Biostatistics/Epidemiology/Research Design Education Working Group, Key Function Committee, Evaluation Committee, Online Resources Task Force, and Promotion/Tenure/Professional Development Working Group
- Publications Officer of the ASA Section on Teaching of Statistics in the Health Sciences
- Director of the Biostatistics Core for the Pancreatic SPORE Grant
- Founder and Director of the CCTS Biostatistics Clinic
- Co-Director of the CCTS Biostatistics and Research Design Program
- Member of the CCTS Training Academy
- Member of the CCTS Nascent Projects Panel
- Coordinator of the DOPM Faculty Biostatistics Forum
- Member of Cancer Center Clinical Trials Review Committee
Selected Recent Publications
- Harris WT, Muhlebach MS, Oster RA, Knowles MR, Clancy JP, Noah TL. Plasma TGF-β, in pediatric cystic fibrosis: Potential biomarker of lung disease severity and response to therapy. Pediatric Pulmonology 2011; 46:688-695.
- Holt CL, Oster RA, Clay KS, Urmie J, Fouad M. Religiosity and physical and emotional functioning among African American and White colorectal and lung cancer patients. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology 2011; 29:372-393.
- Martin MY, Pisu M, Oster RA, Urmie JG, Schrag D, Huskamp HA, Lee J, Kiefe C, Fouad M. Racial variation in Willingness to Trade Financial Resources for Life Prolonging Cancer Treatment. Cancer 2011 117:3476-3484 Apr 26.
- Kong MYF, Li Y, Oster R, Gaggar A, Clancy JP. Early elevation of matrix metalloproteinase-8 and -9 in pediatric ARDS is associated with an increased risk of prolonged mechanical ventilation. PLoS One 2011;6:e22596. (Published electronically ahead of print.)
- Rubio DM, del Junco DJ, Bhore R, Lindsell CJ, Oster RA, Wittkowski KM, Welty LJ, Li Y, DeMets D, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design (BERD) Key Function Committee of the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Consortium. Evaluation metrics for biostatistical and epidemiological collaborations. Statistics in Medicine 2011;30:2767-2777.
- Rubio DM, del Junco DJ, Bhore R, Lindsell CJ, Oster RA, Wittkowski KM, Welty LJ, Li Y, DeMets D, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design (BERD) Key Function Committee of the Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Consortium. The end of the beginning: a commentary on “Evaluation Metrics for Biostatistical and Epidemiological Collaborations”: a rejoinder. Statistics in Medicine 2011;30:2783-2784.
- Fisher G, Hyatt TC, Hunter GR, Oster RA, Desmond RA, Gower BA. Markers of inflammation and fat distribution following weight loss in African American and White women. Obesity. 2011 Apr 28. (Published electronically ahead of print)
- Baggott JE, Oster RA, and Tamura T. Meta-analysis of cancer risk in folic acid supplementation trials. Cancer Epidemiology (In press).
- Martin MY, Sanders S, Griffin JM, Oster RA, Ritchie C, Phelan S, Atienza AA, Khan K, van Ryn M. Racial variation in the cancer caregiving experience: a multi-site study of colorectal and lung cancer caregivers. Cancer Nursing. (In press).
- Jones EJ, Appel SJ, Eaves YD, Moneyham L, Oster RA, Ovalle F. Cardiometabolic risk, risk perception, and self-efficacy among American Indian women with previous gestational diabetes. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing. (In press).
- Distinguished Achievement Award from the American Statistical Association Section on Teaching of Statistics in the Health Sciences
- Comer-Reynolds Memorial Award from the University of Cincinnati.