Yu-Mei M. Schoenberger, PhD
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 624
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-1724
Fax: (205) 934-7959
- Cancer prevention and control
- Communications technology, with particular interest in mobile technology
- Health disparities
- Health communications
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Doctor of Philosophy, Concentration in Health Education and Health Promotion, May, 2005
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Public Health, Master of Public Health, Concentration in International Health and Epidemiology, June, 2001
- University of South Alabama, School of Arts and Sciences, Bachelor of Science in Biological Science, June, 1999
- University of South Alabama, School of Allied Health Professions, Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science, June, 1997
- Associate Scientist, UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Scholar, Center for Clinical and Translational Science
- Member, Society for Clinical and Translational Science; Society for Public Health Education; American Public Health Association
- Reviewer, Cancer, Journal of Medical Internet Research, Social Science & Medicine, Health Promotion Practice American, Journal of Health Behavior, Health Education Research Journal
Selected Recent Publications
- Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, Tseng TS, Ross L. Correlates of transitions in stage of change for quitting among adolescent smokers. Addictive Behaviors. 2008;33(12):1615-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.07.014.
- Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, Beasley M, Phillips M. Effectiveness evaluation of the N-O-T smoking cessation program for adolescents. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2008;32(4):368-79. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.32.4.4.
- Chen N, Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, Crumly J, Davis K, Powell J. BodyLove: The impact of targeted radio educational entertainment on health knowledge, attitudes and behavior among African Americans. Cases in Public Health Communication & Marketing. 2009;3:92-113. www.casesjournal.org/volume3.
- Holt CL, Wynn TA, Debnam K, Litaker MS, Jeames S, Schoenberger YM, Southward P, Simons V. Cancer awareness in alternative settings: Lessons learned and evaluation of the Barbershop men’s health project. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice. 2010;4(2):100-110. http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/jhdrp/vol4/iss2/8.
- Martin MY, Kohler CL, Kim YI, Kratt P, Schoenberger YM, Litaker MS, Prayor-Patterson HM, Clarke SJ, Andrews S, Pisu M. Taking less than prescribed: medication non-adherence and provider-patient relationships in lower-income, rural minority adults with hypertension. The Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2010;12(9):706-13. PMC3241438.
- Baskin ML, Gary L, Hardy CM, Schoenberger YM, Scarinci I, Fouad MN, Partridge EE. Predictors of retention of African American women in a walking program. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2011;35(1):40-50. PMC3086025.
- Martin MY, Kim YI, Kratt P, Litaker MS, Kohler CL, Schoenberger YM, Clarke SJ, Prayor-Patterson HM, Tseng TS, Pisu M, Williams OD. Medication adherence among rural, low income hypertensive adults: a randomized trial of a multimedia community based intervention. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2011;25(6):372-8. PMC3241480.
- Martin MY, Kratt P, Kim Y, Schoenberger YM, Pisu M. “Too much trouble for what I get out of it”: Acceptability of cancer screening tests among low income rural men and women in the Deep South. Public Health. 2012;126(1):64-6. PMC3257893.
- Marsh-Tootle W, Frazier M, Kohler C, Dillard C, Davis K, Schoenberger Y, Wall T. Exploring preschool vision screening in primary care offices in Alabama. Optometry and Vision Science. 2012;89(10):e1521-31. doi: 10.1097/OPX.0b013e318269ca9f.
- Kratt P, Kohler C, Schoenberger Y, Clarke S, Kim Y, Litaker M, Martin MY. Addressing the unexpected: Successes, challenges, and lessons learned from a randomized controlled trial conducted in partnership with a low-income, rural community. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2013. In press.
- 2011-2012 National Institutes of Health (NIH) Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program (LRP). National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD).
- 2008-2009 Health Disparities Research Training Scholars Award Program. Mentor: Isabel Scarinci, PhD.
- 2008 NCI Cancer Health Disparities Summit 2008 Travel Award Recipient.
- 2006 UAB Postdoctoral Career Enhancement Award. Mentor: Connie Kohler, DrPH and John Waterbor, MS, MD, DrPH.
- 2006 Selected Member, Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, An honorary society for graduate studies in public health.
- 2006 Travel award recipient to attend the 2nd Biennial Career Development Workshop to Increase Diversity in Research Funding. Palm Springs, CA.
- 2006 Student Travel Scholarship to Kentucky Conference on Health Communication:
Emerging Trends in Health Communication. Lexington, KY.
- 2003, 2005 UAB School of Public Health Braggin’ Dragon Award, honors accomplishments in public health at UAB.
- 2005 Nominated for Award for Student Excellence in Public Health Practice which recognizes and rewards student comprehension, application, and growth regarding public health practice.
- 2005 Nominated to present at the Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health Academic Poster Session at the American Public Health Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- 2004 Received travel support to attend Minority Investigator Career Development Workshop. Palm Springs, CA.
- 2002 Received UAB Graduate Student Association Travel Award to attend American Public Health Association Conference. Philadelphia, PA.