Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 647
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6887
Fax: (205) 934-4262
- Survival Analysis
- Cure Models
- Power and Sample Size Calculations
- Palm Beach Junior College AA – 1960 Arts
- University of Florida BS – 1962 Mathematics Education
- Appalachian State University MA – 1964 Mathematics
- University of South Carolina PhD – 1972 Mathematics
- Summer Institute in Mathematics, Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio, 1966
- Summer Institute in Mathematics, Rutgers, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1967
- Summer Research Fellow, Savannah River Laboratory, AEC, Computer Applications Division, Aiken, South Carolina, 1973
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow in Biostatistics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, 1976-1978
- Summer Institute in Biostatistics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1977
- American Statistical Association (Former President of State Chapter)
- Society for Clinical Trials
- Biometric Society
- Research and Development Committee, Charleston VA Medical Center, Charleston, SC, 1978-1983
- Graduate School Curriculum Committee, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, 1978-1983
- Committee, Hines VA Hospital, Hines, IL, 1984-87
- Scientific Review Committee, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 1994-2006; (vice chair 1996-2006)
- Protocol Monitoring Committee, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 1996-2002. (co-chair)
- Scientific Leadership Council, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 1996-2002.
- Clinical Research Council, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 1997-1999.
- DIO Department APT Committee, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 2000-2006.
- Protocol Review and Monitoring Committee, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, Tampa, FL, 2003- 2006
- Biostatistics & Bioinformatics Shared Facility Search Committee, 2009
- Steering Committee, Neurofibromatosis Consortium, 2009-Present
- Obesity, 2009
- Journal of the American Medical Association, 2009
- Journal of the American Statistical Association, 1994-Present
- Medical and Pediatric Oncology, 1995-Present.
- Psychological Methods, 1996-Present.
- Statistical Editor, Cancer Control Journal of the Moffitt Cancer Center, 2003—2006
- Journal of Clinical Oncology
- American Statistician
- American Journal of Surgery
Selected Recent Publications
- Chen H, Cantor A, Meyer J, Beth CM, Grendys E, Cavanaugh D, Antonek S, Camarata A, Haley W, Balducci L, Extermann M: Can Older Patients Tolerate Chemotherapy? A Prospective Pilot Study. Cancer 97(4): 1107-1114, 2003.
- Extermann M, Albrand G, Chen H, Zanetta S, Schonwetter R, Zulian GB, Cantor A, Droz J: Are Older French Patients as Willing as Older American Patients to Undertake Chemotherapy? Journal of Clinical Oncology 21(17):3214-3219, 2003.
- Soares HP, Kumar A, Daniels S, Swann S, Cantor A, Hozo I, Clark M, Serdarevic F, Gwede C, Trottie A, Djulbegovic B: Evaluation of new treatments in radiation oncology: are they better than standard treatments? JAMA 23:293(8): 1001-3, 2005.
- Ferraro B, Bepler G, Syharma S, Cantor A, Haura E. EGR1 Predicts PTEN and Survival in Patients With Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23 (9): 1921-1926, 2005.
- Cox C, Centeno B, Dickson D, Clark J, Nicosia S, Greenberg H, Stowell, White L, Patel J, Furman B, Cantor A, Hakam A, Ahmad N, Diaz N,King J: Accuracy of intraoperative imprint cytology for sentinel lymph node evaluation in the treatment of breast carcinoma. Cancer 105 (1): 13-20, 2005.
- Eschrich S, Yang I, Bloom G, Kwong K, Boulware D, Cantor A, Coppola D, Kruhoffer M, Aaltonen L, Orntoft T, Quackenbush J, Yeatman T: Molecular Staging for Survival Prediction of Colorectal Cancer Patients. J of Clin Oncol 20; 23 (15): 3526-35, 2005.
- Gwede CK, Pow-Sang J, Seigne J, Heysek R, Helal M, Shade K, Cantor A, Jacobsen PB.Treatment decision-making strategies and influences in patients with localized prostate carcinoma. Cancer 1; 104(7):1381-90, 2005.
- Bepler G, Kusmartseva I, Sharma S, Gautam A, Cantor A, Sharma A, Simon G. RRM1 modulated in vitro and in vivo efficacy of gemcitabine and platinum in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 10: 24(29):4731-7, October 2006.
- Simon G, Sharma A, Li X, Hazelton T, Walsh F, Williams C, Chiappori A, Haura E, Tanvetyanon T, Antonia S, Cantor A, and Gerold Bepler G: Feasibility and Efficacy of Molecular Analysis-Directed Individualized Therapy in Advanced Non-Small- Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 25(19):2741-6, July 2007.
- Munoz-Antonia T, Muro-Cacho C, Sharma S, Cantor A, Bepler G.: Expression of TGFbeta type-II receptor in association with markers of proliferation and apoptosis in premalignant lung lesions. Cancer Aug 3, 2007.
- Recipient of A.E.C. Summer Research Participation Grant, 1973
- Listed in Outstanding American Educators, 1974-1975
- Recipient of NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1976
- Listed in Outstanding Young Men of America, 1978
- Outstanding Performance Award, Hines VA Hospital, 1984-1987
- Listed in Who’s Who in the Midwest, 1985