Professor & Director-BBSF
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 647
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6887
Fax: (205) 934-4262
Clinical Trials Design; Health Services Research Methodology; Longitudinal Data Analysis; Mathematical Modeling; Statistical Computing; Survival Analysis
- University of Memphis, TN, PhD, 1986, Statistics
- Old Dominion University, VA, MS, 1983, Applied & Computational Mathematics
- CCSHA University, India, M.Sc., 1977, Statistics
- Meerut University, India, B.Sc., 1975, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics
- Chair or Member of Scientific Review Panels: Study Review Panels/Special Emphasis Review Panels/Site Visits/ Reverse Site Visits, NIH/NCI, 1994-Present; Special Emphasis Review Panels, CDC, 1998-Present; Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) Review Panels, 2001-Present; Special Emphasis Review Panels, AHRQ, 1998-Present; Study Review Panels, National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research, 2005-Present; Oklahoma Health Research Program Scientific Review Panels, 2007-Present; Special Emphasis Review Panels, HRSA, 2002-Present; Susan K. Komen Cancer for Cure Scientific Review Panels, 2007-2010.
Chairman, DSMB: NIH Funded Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial, UNTHSC, 2006-2008.
- Organizer, Chair-Scientific Sessions in Conferences/Congresses:
Chair-Scientific Session, Mathematical Methods in Systems Biology and Population Dynamics, Cape Town, South Africa, January 4-7, 2012; Chair-Plenary Session, International Conference on Mathematics of Date, Allahabad, India, December 31, 2010, to January 5, 2011; Moderator-HIV/STDs Roundtable Session, Improving Health through Community-Academic Research: An Interactive Workshop, UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth, June 18, 2010; Co-organizer and Co-Chair-Statistical Modeling in Health and Biomedical Sciences, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Cairns, Australia, July 13-17, 2009; Co-Organizer and Co-Chair-Statistical Methods for Analysis of Public Health Data, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, December 10-13, 2007
- Editorial Boards of Journals: Associate Editor: Universal Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, 2011-Present, Advances and Applications in Statistics, 2011-Present, European Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 2007-Present; Editorial Board: International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health, 2010-Present, Topics in Integrative Health Care: An International Journal, 2010-Present.
- Reviewer of Scientific Journals: Advances and Applications in Statistics; American Journal of Cardiology; American Journal of Physiology; American Journal of Public Health; American Journal of Radiology; Annals of Surgical Oncology; Arthritis Care and Research; Biometrics; Communications in Statistics; International Journal of Biostatistics; International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science; Journal of American Medical Association; Journal of Applied Statistics; Journal of Computer Science & Computational Mathematics; Journal of Comparative Neurology; Journal of Computational Statistics and Data Analysis; Journal of General Internal Medicine; Journal of Medical and Pediatric Oncology; Journal of School Health; Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation; Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference; Journal of Statistical Theory and Practice; Journal of Theoretical Biology; Journal of Water and Health; Mathematical Biosciences; Maternal and Child Health Journal; Medical Care; Neurobiology of Aging; Polish Journal of Environmental Studies; Preventive Medicine; Risk Analysis; Statistica Neerlandica; Statistics in Medicine; Statistical Modeling; Statistica Sinica.
- External Reviewer- Faculty: Promotion, Tenure, Honors and Awards: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine; University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine; Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health; University of Oklahoma Health Science Center School of Public Health; Tulane University School of Medicine; University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine.
- Professional Societies: American Statistical Association; International Statistical Institute (ISI); International Biometric Society-ENAR; The International Environmetrics Society (TIES); Modeling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ); American Public Health Association (APHA); Institute for Diversity in Health Management
Selected Recent Publications
- Ojha RP, Hanzis CA, Hunter ZR, Greenland S, Offutt-Powell TN, Manning RJ, Lewicki M, Brodsky PS, Ioakimidis L, Tripsas CK, Patterson CJ, Sheehy P, Singh KP, Treon SP: Family history of non-hematologic cancers among Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia patients: A preliminary study. Cancer Epidemiology 2011 Nov 16 [Epub ahead of print]]. PMID 22099500.
- Tabatabai MA, Bursac Z, Eby WM, Singh KP: Hyperbolastic modeling of stem cell proliferation. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing 2011 Mar; 49(3): 253-42. PMID 20953843.
- Ojha RP, Felini MJ, Singh KP, Faramawi FM, Thertulien R: Radiation therapy for localized or locally advanced prostate adenocarcinoma and myeloma incidence in a population-based cohort. British Journal of Urology International. 2011 Mar; 107(5): 693-7. PMID: 21210963
- Jackson BE, Coultas D, Suzuki S, Su F, Lingineni R, Singh KP, Bartolucci AA, Bae S: Safety net facilities and hospitalization rates of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a cross sectional analysis of the 2007 Texas Health Care Information Council inpatient data. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2011 Nov; 6: 563–71. PMID: 22135489
- Ojha RP, Evens E, Felini MJ, Thertulien R, Singh KP: The association between cell carcinoma and multiple myeloma: insights from population-based data. British Journal of Urology International 2010 Sept; 108(6):825-30. PMID: 21091979.
- Johnson ES, Zhou Y, Yau L, Prabhakar D, Ndetan H, Singh KP, Preacely N: Mortality from malignant diseases - update of the Baltimore Union Poultry Cohort. Cancer Causes and Control 2010 Feb; 21(2): 215-21. PMID: 19847658.
- Ojha RP, Fischbach LA, Zhou Y, Felini MJ, Singh KP, Thertulien R: Acute myeloid leukemia following external beam radiation therapy or localized advanced prostate adenocarcinoma. Cancer Epidemiology 2010 Jun; 34(3): 274-8. PMID: 20427255.
- Shankar S, Davis R, Singh KP, Kurzrock R, Ross DD, Srivastava RK: Suberoylanilide hyroxamic acid (vorinostat, zolinza) sensitizes TRAIL-resistant breast cancer cells orthotopically implanted in BALB/c nude mice. Mol Cancer Ther 2009 Jun; 8(6): 1596-605. PMID: 19509267.
- Sammer CE, Lykens K, Singh KP: Physician characteristics and the reported effect of evidence-based practice guidelines. Health Services Research 2008 Apr; 43(2): 569-81. PMID: 18484106.
- Shankar S, Chen Q, Ganapathy S, Singh KP, Srivastava RK: Diallyl trisulfide increases the effectivesness of TRAIL and inhibits prostate cancer growth in an orthotopic model: Molecular mechanism. Mol Cancer Ther 2008 Aug; 7(8): 2328-38. PMID: 18723480.
- Plenary Talk, Mathematical Methods in Systems Biology and Population Dynamics, Cape Town, South Africa, January 4-7, 2012
- Plenary Talk, International Conference on Mathematics of Date, Allahabad, India, December 31, 2010-January 4, 2011
- Outstanding Faculty in Research, School of Public Health University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) at Fort Worth, 2010
- Academic Commendation of Excellence (ACE) Award, UNTHSC, December 2009
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor, School of Public Health, UNTHSC, May 2008
- ASPH/Pfizer Public Health Academy of Distinguished Teachers
- Fellow-Modeling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (MSSANZ)
- Keynote Speaker, International Congress on Modeling and Simulation, Christchurch, NZ, December 10-13, 2007
- Elected Member- International Statistical Institute (ISI)
- Elected Member, DELTA OMEGA, the Honorary Public Health Society
- Distinguished Paper Award, Business and Health Administration Association, 2008
- Best Paper Award, Issues in Healthcare: Elderly, Hospice, and Home Care, Business and Health Administration Association, 2008
- Administration Association, Business and Health Administration Association, 2007
- MBAA International McGraw-Hill/Irwin Distinguished Paper award, 2007