Medical Student Clerkship
The Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM) Clerkship consists of 16 shifts in a 4-week block, accompanied by weekly didactics, procedure workshops, and web-based learning materials.
- Clinical: Fifteen 8-hour shifts in our adult emergency department consisting of a combination of day (7a-3p), evening (3p-11p), and nights (11p-7a) and one EMS ride-along experience.
- Didactics: Chest Pain, Toxicology, EKG, Headache, Abdominal Pain, Shock, and Trauma.
- Simulation Labs: Interactive ultrasound, splinting, central line, wound management, and airway management labs. Separate lab for simulated patient encounters.
- Reading: 4-week guided online reading material.
- Assessment: Shift evaluation forms. End of rotation student feedback survey
|Course #96-201||MS3 Selective||Click here for course description.|
|Course #09-100||MS4 Clerkship||Click here for course description.|
The Department of Emergency Medicine welcomes fourth year visiting students from any U.S. Medical or Osteopathic School. Non-US fourth year medical students will require a UAB Emergency Medicine faculty sponsor as well as submission of transcript and USMLE scores. Please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visiting student applications are initiated and processed through the UAB School of Medicine (SOM) Registrar office. Students may complete the online application by visiting SOM Visiting Student Application. Please be sure to check deadlines for application and course registration.
There are two dates that visiting students must be aware of when signing up for the elective:
- SOM Application Opening Date – April 1, 2014 - Students may begin to fill out the online application.
- SOM Registration Opening Date – June 1, 2014 - Students may specify the time frame (rotation dates) they would like to enroll in the course.
The SOM Registrar allows UAB students first choice for course selection and assignment. As such, we understand that many course offering periods may fill before visiting students are able to register. Please contact Adrienne Fowler at email@example.com to discuss course registration options as soon as you have completed your application.
Please review the SOM course catalog for the most recently updated rotation dates by searching course #09-100 and using the link in the course description “see offering dates” for weeks normally offered.
2014-2015 SOM Clinical Rotation Dates:
- June 1 – July 27
- July 28 – August 24
- August 25 – September 21
- September 22 – October 19
- October 27 – November 23
- November 24 – December 21
- January 5 – February 1
- February 2 – March 1
- March 2 – March 29
- March 30 – April 26
- May 4 – May 31
- June 1 – June 28
Students may request rotation dates that correspond with their medical school’s rotation dates. These requests are considered on a case-by-case basis..
Please contact Adrienne Fowler, DEM Education Administration Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.