Core 2: Molecular Pathology and Human Cell/Tissue Core
Director: Robin G. Lorenz, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-Director: Lesley E. Smythies, Ph.D.
Requests Center investigators will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to the requirement that the research be appropriate for the Center project and likely to contribute to its success.
Molecular Pathology Unit (Dr. Lorenz)
- Preparation of paraffin blocks fromcassettes.
- Bacterial Detection (PCR-DGGE / FISH).
- Slides (paraffin and/or frozen sections)
- Unstained paraffin slides
- Unstained frozen section slides
- H & E (frozen or paraffin) stain
- Special stains (Alcian Blue, Periodic Acid-Schiff (PAS))
- Murine gastrointestinal cell isolation.
- Fluorescence immunostaining.
- Histological Analysis (Pathological Scoring)
Equipment Usage (by center investigators)
- Fluorescent Microsopes.
Human Cell and Tissue Unit (Dr. Smythies)
- Provision of human leukocytes from mucosal tissues plus standard phenotyping panel.
- Establishment of explants from human mucosal tissue (4 blocks of tissue, each 1.5 cm diameter, dissected and mounted in the transwell system).
- Provision of purified human circulating leukocytes.
- Additional phenotyping of purified mucosal or circulating cells (markers not included in standard panel).
- Provision of stromal-derived conditioned medium.
- Cryostat training.
- Cryostat usage.
- Phenotyping of mucosal or circulating leukocytes.
- Fluorescence staining.
- Cell culture.
- Function assays.