Dr. Zinn earned his B.A. in Chemistry from the University of Missouri. Remaining at the University of Missouri, he went on to earn a Masters in Chemistry and a D.V.M, followed by a Ph.D. in Biochemistry. In 1995, he relocated to UAB, rising to Professor in the Departments of Medicine, Radiology and Pathology in 2003. Dr. Zinn has received numerous awards for his scientific accomplishments, including the Benadict Cassen Imaging Award (twice) and the Southern Societies Young Faculty Award. He holds an array of patents pertaining to the generation of diagnostic radioisotopes.
Dr. Zinn’s research focus is the development of novel imaging techniques for the screening and precise location of tumors and metastases. He also has lead efforts to develop reporter systems for the imaging of gene transfer and apoptosis in vivo. In addition, his laboratory has pioneered non-invasive small animal imaging for the study of biological, infectious and immunological events in vivo.
- Zinn KR, Chaudhuri TR, Buchsbaum DJ, Mountz JM Rogers BE. Detection and measurement of in vitro Gene transfer by gamma camera imaging. Gene Ther. 8: 291-299, 2001.
- Chaudhuri TR, Rogers BE, Buchsbaum DJ, Mountz JM, Zinn KR. A non-invasive reporter system to image adenoviral-mediated gene transfer to ovarian cancer xenografts. Gynecol. Oncol. 83:432-438, 2001.
- Zinn KR, Kelpke S, Akhi K, Viera L, Chaudhuri TR, Thompson JA. Glomerular Targeting of FGF-1 in renal transplanted rats. Transplantation 73:1447-53, 2002.
- Rogers B, Chaudhuri TR, Reynolds PN, Manna DD, Zinn KR. Non-Invasive gamma camera imaging of gene transfer using an adenoviral vector encoding an epitope-tagged receptor as a reporter. Gene Ther 10:105-14, 2003.
- Zinn KR, Rodriguez-Burford C, Chaudhuri TR. Sinusoidal endothelium in mouse liver show rapid and saturable binding of Jo2 anti-Fas antibody, Mol Imaging Biol 5(5):326-36. Nov 2003.
- Zinn KR, Szalai AJ, Stargel A, Krasnykh V, Chaudhuri TR. Bioluminescence imaging reveals a significant role for complement in liver transduction following intravenous delivery of adenovirus. Gen Ther 11(19):1482-1486, 2004.
- Buchsbaum DJ, Chaudhuri TR, Zinn KR. Radiotargeted gene therapy. J Nuc Med 46(1 Suppl):179S-186S, 2005.
- Frank SJ, Wang X, He K, Yang N, Fang P, Rosenfeld RG, Hwa V, Chaudhuri TR, Deng L, Zinn KR. In vivo imaging of hepatic growth hormone signaling. Mol Endo 20: 2819-30, 2006.
- Kim H, Chaudhuri TR, Buchsbaum DJ, Wang D, Zinn KR. High resolution single-photon emission computed tomography and X-ray computed tomography imaging of Tc-99m-labeled anti-DR5 antibody in breast tumor xenografts. Mol Cancer Ther 6 (3): 866-75, 2007.
- Rosenthal EL, Kulbersch BD, King T, Chaudhuri TR, Zinn KR. Use of fluorescent labeled anti-epidermal growth factor receptor antibody to image head and neck squamous cell carcinoma xenografts. Mol Cancer Ther 6 (4): 1230 – 8, 2007.