Invited Speaker Series
- L. Flores-Romo, M.D., Ph.D., CINVESTAV, Mexico City, Mexico: "Of Mice and Men: Immunology Research in Mexico".
- Mark Kaplan, Ph.D., Indiana University: "Th9 Cells: Differentiation and Disease".
- Daniel Cua, Ph.D., Merck Research Laboratories, Palo Alto, California: "IL-23 Regulation of Innate and Adaptive Immunity"
- Roland Tisch, Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: "Reestablishing Beta Cell-specific Tolerance in Type 1 Diabetes"
- Arup Chakraborty, Ph.D., MIT: "How to Hit HIV Where It Hurts"
- John C. Luckey, M.D., Ph.D., Harvard Medical School: "Cytokine Control of Memory CD8+ T Cell Homeostatic Self-renewal"
- Russell Vance, Ph.D., University of California, Berkley
- Shimon Sakaguchi, M.D., Ph.D., Immunology Frontier Research Center, Osaka University, Japan
- Marcus Altfeld, M.D., Ph.D., Massachusetts General Hospital: “Antiviral NK Cell Function in HIV Infection”.
- Sergey Suchkov, M.D., Ph.D., First Moscow State Medical University and Moscow State Medical & Dentistry University: “Introduction to Predictive and Preventive Medicine: Antibody-Proteases as Molecular Tools to Predict and to Prevent Demyelination”.
- Patrick C. Wilson, M.D., Ph.D., The University of Chicago: “Human B Cell Responses to Influenza”.
- David Masopust, Ph.D., University of Minnesota at Minneapolis: “Memory CD8 T Cells: Issues of Quantity, Quality and Location”.
- Annette H.H. van Boxel-Dezaire, Ph.D., Cleveland Clinic Foundation Lerner Research Institute: “Unraveling the Complexity of the Signaling Pathways Activated by IFN-β in Order to Explain Cell Type-specific Responses and Individual Responsiveness to IFN-β Therapy in Multiple Sclerosis”.
- Douglas Green, Ph.D., St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital: “Cutting Both Ways: How Caspases Promote and Prevent Cell Death”.
- Mark M. Davis, Ph.D., Stanford University: “T Cell Recognition and Repertoire”.
- Charles Surh, Ph.D., Scripps Research Institute: “T Cell Recognition of Self and Commensal Microbial Antigens”.
- Tak Mak, Ph.D., Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto: “Control of Immune Homeostasis”.
- Ramnik Xavier, M.D., MHG, Boston: “Genes and Pathway Maps in IBD”.
- Rafael Casellas, Ph.D., NIH/NIAMS: “B Cell Susceptibility to Translocations: Nuclear Architecture or Promiscuous Hypermutation?”.
- Marco Colonna, M.D., Washington University School of Medicine: “Innate Lymphoid Cells in Mucosal Immunity”.
- Lora Hooper, Ph.D., UT Southwester Medical Center, Dallas, TX: “Immune Defense of the Intestinal Epithelial Surface”.
- Jason Cyster, Ph.D., University of California San Francisco: "Oxysterols and Sphingolipids in B Cell Immunity".
- Matther Krummel, Ph.D., University of California San Francisco: "The Immune Bee-Hive: Motor-protein Regulated Motility, Motile Synapses and the Generation of Collective Behaviors in the Immune Response".
- Anette H.H. van Boxel-Dezaire, M.Sc., Ph.D., Cleveland Clinc Foundation, Lerner Research Institute: "Unraveling the Complexity of the IFN-beta-Induced Signaling Pathways in Order to Explain Cell Type-Specificity and Individual Responsiveness to IFN-beta Therapy in Multiple Sclerosis".
- Dmitry I. Gabrilovich, M.D., Ph.D., University of South Florida: “Myeloid-derived Suppressor Cells in Regulation of Immune Responses in Cancer”.
- Alessandro Setter, Ph.D., La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology: “Immunomic Analysis of Complex Infectious Pathogens and Allergens”.
- You-Wen He, M.D., Ph.D., Duke University School of Medicine: “Autophagy in T Lymphocyte Function”.
- Mark E. Curran, Ph.D., Centocor, R&D, Inc.: “Biomarkers for Inflammatory Diseases: Lessons from the Development of Novel Anti-TNF and Anti-IL12/23 Therapeutics”.
- Jennie Ting, Ph.D., University of North Carolina School of Medicine: “NLRs and Plexins: Inflammation and Infection”.
- John Wherry, Ph.D., The Wistar Institute: “Regulation of CD8 T Cell Memory During Chronic Infection”.
- Warner C. Greene, M.D., Ph.D., University of California at San Francisco: “Murder on HIV Express: Surprising Insights into How CD4 Cells Die”.
- Grant Gallagher, Ph.D., Humigen, LLC: “A Naturally-occurring Soluble Variant of the IL-23 Receptor Inhibits Th17 Development”.
- Eliver E.B. Ghosen, Ph.D., Stanford University School of Medicine: “The Layered Immune System: New Insights into the Ontogeny of B-cell Subsets and Their Response to Various Antigens”.
- Susan Wong, M.D., Ph.D., Cardiff University: “Insulin Reactive T Cells in Type I Diabetes”.
- Troy D. Randall, Ph.D., University of Rochester Medical Center: “Local Immune Responses to Tumors and Other Antigens in the Peritoneal Cavity”.
- Adrian Hayday, Ph.D., King’s College London, UK: “The Biology and Clinical Applications of Lymphoid Stress-surveillance”.
- Yueh-Hsiuh Chien, Ph.D., Stanford University: “From (the Lack of ) Thymic Selection to IL-17 Production, Why Gamma Delta T Cells Are Indispensable”.
- Rachael A. Clark, M.D., Ph.D., Brigham and Women’s Hospital: “What Skin Diseases Are Teaching Us about Human T Cell Biology”.
- Hans-Martin Jaeck, M.D., Freiedrich-Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany: “RNA Controls B Cells”.
- James Moon, Ph.D., MGH, Harvard Medical School: “Studying the self-antigen specific T cell repertoire”.
- Chyi-Song Hsieh, M.D., Ph.D., Washington University School of Medicine: “Role of TCR Specificity in Regulatory T Cell Development”.
- Leszek Ignatowicz, Ph.D., Medical College of Georgia: “Development and Antigen Receptors on Natural Foxp3+ T Cells”.
- Jordan S. Orange, M.D., Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania: “The In’s and Out’s of NK Cell Cytotoxicity”.
- Gait Alter, Ph.D., Harvard University, MGH: “NK Cells in HIV: Friends or Foes?”.
- Mark Jenkins, Ph.D., University of Minnesota Medical School: “How CD4+ T Lymphocytes Remember Past Infections”.
- Andrew Chan, M.D., Ph.D., Genentech, CA: “T Cell Activation – Steps to Full Effector Function”.
- David Artis, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania: “Regulation of Immunity at Mucosal Sites”.
- Susan Pierce, Ph.D., NIAD/NIH: “It’s All About Change: The Antigen-driven Initiation of B Cell Receptor Signaling”.
- Chandra Mohan, M.D,. Ph.D., Southwestern Medical Center: “Three Checkpoints in Lupus Development”.
- David V. Serrez, Ph.D., The Jackson Laboratory: “Invasion of the Killer Bs in Type 1 Diabetes”.
- Jan Potempa, Ph.D., Jagiellonian University: “Gingipains: The Master Tools Used by Porphyromonas Gingivalis to Manipulate the Host Immune System”.
- Wayne Yolohama, M.D., Washington University: “NK Cell Tolerance via Inhibitory and Activation Receptors”.
- Henry J. Forman, Ph.D., University of California, Merced: “Signaling in Alveolar Macrophages: From Lab Curiosity to Air-pollution-induced Inflammation”.
- K. Christopher Garcia, Ph.D., Stanford University School of Medicine: “Insights into T Cell and Cytokine Receptor Function Using Combinatorial Biology and Structure”.
- Simon Jones, Ph.D., The School of Medicine, Cardiff, UK: “Identification of Cytokine Networks that Define Balance Between Competent Host Defense and Inflammation-induced Tissue Damage”.
- Michael Nussenzweig, M.D., Ph.D., Rockefeller University: “Antibody Genes in Immunity and Cancer”.
- Wenjun Ouyang, Ph.D., Genentech: “Functions of IL-22 in Tissue Epithelial Immunity”.
- Ronald Gill, Ph.D., University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada: “Islet Transplantation in the Setting of Autoimmunity”.
- Robert D. Schreiber, Ph.D., Washington University School of Medicine: “A Molecular Basis of Cancer Immunoediting”.
- Arturo Casadevall, M.D., Ph.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine: “New Insights in Antibody-mediated Immunity”.
- James Crowe, M.D., Vanderbilt Medical Center: “Molecular Basis for Development of Human High-affinity Virus Neutralizing Antibodies”.
- Hildegund C.J. Ertl, M.D., The Wistar Institute: “Immune Response to AAV Vectors”.
- Christine Biron, Ph.D., Brown University: “Shaping Type 1 IFN’s Biological Effects by Changing Access to STAT Signaling Pathways: An Innate Immune System Mechanism for Doing More with Less”.
- John P. Cannon, Ph.D., University of South Florida at Tampa: “Evolution of Jawed Vertebrate Immunity: Antigen Receptors Were Just the Beginning”.
- Christina Herrick, MD, Ph.D., Yale University School of Medicine: “Deciphering the Role of Th2 Cells in Atopic Disease: From Skin to Airway and Back Again”.
- Pawel Muranski, M.D., NHLBI: “Treatment of established murine melanoma with Th17-polarized CD4+ Cells”.
- Jeremy M. Boss, Ph.D., Emory University School of Medicine: “Chromatin and Epigenetic Control of the Immune Response”.
- Yasmine Belkaid, Ph.D., National Institutes of Health: “Control of Regulatory T Cells by Microbes”.
- Shiv S. Pillai, M.D., Ph.D., Harvard Medical School: “A Gene Encoding an Enzyme that Regulates B Cell Tolerance is Mutated in Human Autoimmune Disease”.
- Lawrence Steinman, M.D., Stanford University, CA: “A Molecular Trio in Relapse and Remission of MS”.
- Salomon Amar, D.D.S., Ph.D., Boston University: “Obesity is Bacteria’s Little helper”.
- Clayton Matthews, Ph.D., University of Florida, Gainesville: “The Type 1 Diabetes Resistance Gene mt-Nd2 Regulates Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and Prevents Beta Cell Destruction”.
- Robert L. Fairchild, Ph.D., Learner Research Institute: “Innate-adaptive Interactions Directing CD8 T Cells into the Skin to Mediate Immune Responses”.
- Olivera Finn, Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh: “Human Tumor Antigens and Immunosurveillance”.
- Dan R. Littman, Ph.D., N.Y. University Langone Medical Center: “Role of Transcription Factors and Microbiota in Th17 Cell Function”.
- Bana Jabri, M.D., Ph.D., University of Chicago: “IL-15 a Checkpoint in Tissue Immunity”.
- Bana Jabri, M.D., Ph.D., University of Chicago: “Infectious Tolerance and Plague”.
- Phillip Scott, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania: “Memory T Cells in Leishmaniasis: A Little Goes a Long Way”.
- K. Mark Ansel, Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco: “Gene silencing and RNA regulation of the adaptive immune response”.
- Dario Vignali, Ph.D., St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital: “Molecular Control of T Cell Development and Regulatory T Cell Function”.
- Laurent Gapin, Ph.D., University of Colorado Health Sciences Center : “Antigen Recognition by NKT Cells and Repertoire Formation”.
- William E. Paul, M.D., NIAID: “CD4 T Cells: Fates, Functions, Faults”.
- Hans-Christian Reinecker, M.D., Ph.D., Massachusetts General Hospital: “Mucosal Subspecification of Dendritic Cells for Tolerance and Defense”.
- Susan Kaech, Ph.D., Yale University School of Medicine: “Mechanisms of Memory T Cell Development”.
- Sharon M. Wahl, Ph.D., National Institutes of Health, Bethesda: “Role of IL-17 in Autoimmunity-associated Inflammation”.
- Alan Aderam, Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle: “Systems Biology Approach to Innate Immunity”.
- Maria Rescigno, Ph.D., European Institute of Oncology, Milan: “New Insights into Intestinal Dendritic Cells”.
- Satya Dandekar, Ph.D., University of California, Davis: “Disruption of Gut Immune System in HIV Infection and Restoration During Therapy”.
- Richard Blumberg, M.D., Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston: “Regulation of CD1d Function by Microsomal Triglyceride Transfer Protein”
- John P. Moore, Ph.D., Cornell University, New York: “The Use of CCR5 Inhibitors and Entry Inhibitors to Prevent and Treat HIV-1 Infection”.
- Hilde Cheroutre, Ph.D., La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology, San Diego: “A Link Between Immune Memory and Mucosal T cells”.
- Morgane Bomsel, Ph.D., Institut Cochin de Genetique et Moleculaire, Paris: “Mucosal IgA Neutralization of HIV-1: Implications for Vaccine Development”.
1720 2nd Ave South
Shelby Research Building, Room #610
Birmingham, AL 35294