Genodermatology/Inherited Skin Disorders Clinic
UAB's departments of Genetics and Dermatology offer a clinic devoted to the diagnosis and management of genetic disorders of the skin. This coordinated clinic is the only one of its kind in the Southeast, allowing patients to see both a geneticist and a dermatologist in the same visit. Dr. Bruce Korf, UAB Department of Genetics chair, and Dr. Amy Theos, director of Pediatric Dermatology at Children's Hospital, co-direct this clinic. The clinic provides comprehensive consultation for a broad range of genetic skin disorders including epidermolysis bullosa, ichthyosis, and congenital abnormalities of the hair, nails, and sweat glands, in both children and adults.
The Genetic Skin Disorders Clinic offers a number of services including:
- Comprehensive evaluation of family history
- Examination with careful skin screening of patient and family members
- Specialized diagnostic testing (when available)
- Discussion of management and treatment recommendations
- Implementation of a program for treatment
- Genetic counseling to assist in family education and planning
- Involvement in clinical research projects (as available)
Third Thursday of each month, 1:00–4:00 p.m.
Kaul Human Genetics Building
720 20th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35233
Make an Appointment
(205) 934-1154 or, toll-free, 1-866-822-4362