Rank: Professor and Director of Research
Division: Hematology & Oncology
Campus Address: WTI 520C
Dr. Datta earned his Bachelor of Science (BS), Honors in Chemistry; Physics and Mathematics, and his Master of Science (MS), Organic Chemistry from The University of Burdwan, India. He erned his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, from the Bose Institute, Calcutta, India. His thesis title was Studies on Natural Carbocyclic Compounds.
He worked as a research associate with Dr. Srilata Bagchi at the University of Illinois in Chicago and with Dr. Harold L. Moses at The Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center in Nashville. He began work as assistant professor in Surgical Oncology Cancer Biology at Vanderbilt University in 2000. Dr. Datta also served as a research scientist at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Nasvhille.
In 2012, Dr. Datta joined the faculty at UAB, where he is Professor and Director of Research in the Division of Hematology/Oncology. He is also leader of the Colon and Lung Cancer Basic Research Program. He is senior scientist in the Cancer Cell Biology Program at the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center. In addition, Dr. Datta also serves as Research Scientist at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Birmingham.
- Rachakonda, G., and Datta, P.K., Jun kinase pathway is important for TGF-ß-induced downregulation of Claudin-4 in non-small cell lung cancer. Communicated, 2012.
- Zhang, W., Zhang, B., Halder, S.K., Washington, K., and Datta, P.K., Functional role of Integrin ß4 in the metastasis of colorectal cancer. Communicated, 2012.
- Nagathihali, N.S., Massion, P., Gonjalez, A, and Datta, P.K., Smoking induces epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in non-small cell lung cancer through HDAC-mediated downregulation of E-cadherin. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 11(11):2362-2372. Nov. 6, 2012.
- Samanta, D., Kauffmann, J., Carbone D.P., and Datta, P.K., Long-term smoking mediated downregulation of Smad3 induces resistance to carboplatin in non-small cell lung cancer. Neoplasia, 14(7): 644-655, 2012.
- Samanta, D., Gonjalez, A., Carbone, D.P., and Datta, P.K., Smoking attenuates TGF-β-mediated tumor suppression function through down-regulation of Smad3 in lung cancer. Cancer Prevention Research (AACR), 5(3): 453-463, 2012.
- Halder, S.K., Cho, Y-J, Datta, A., Anumanthan, G., Ham, A-J.L., Carbone, D.P., and Datta, P.K., Elucidating the mechanism of regulation of TGF-ß type II receptor expression in human lung cancer cell lines, Neoplasia, 13(10): 912-922, 2011.
- Kashikar, N., Zhang, W., Massion, P., Gonjalez, A and Datta, P.K., Role of STRAP in regulating GSK3ß function and Notch3 stabilization. Cell Cycle, 10(10): 1639-1654, 2011.
- Reiner, J., Ye, F., Kashikar, N., and Datta, P.K., STRAP Regulates Cellular Proliferation and Ubiquitin-mediated Proteolysis of the c-Jun Oncogene. BBRC, 407(2): 372-377, 2011.
- Girish Rachakonda, Konjeti R. Sekhar, Dawit Jowhar, Philip C. Samson, John P. Wikswo, R. Daniel Beauchamp, Pran K. Datta, and Michael L. Freeman, Increased Cell Migration and Plasticity in Nrf2 Deficient Cancer Cell Lines. Oncogene, 29(25): 3703–3714, 2010.
- Kashikar, N., Reiner, J., Datta, A., and Datta, P.K., STRAP plays a role in the maintenance of mesenchymal morphology. Cellular Signaling, 22: 138-149, 2010.
- Zhang, B., Halder, S.K., Kashikar, N., Cho, Y-J., Datta, A., Gorden, D.L., and Datta, P.K., Anti-metastatic role of Smad4 signaling in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology, 138: 969-980, 2010.
- Zhang, B., Halder, S., Sanguo, Z., and Datta, P.K., Targeting Transforming Growth Factor-ß signaling in liver metastasis of colorectal cancer. Cancer Letters, 277: 114-120, 2009.
- Halder, S.K., Rachakonda, G., Deane, N.G., and Datta, P.K., Smad7 induces hepatic metastasis in colorectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 99: 957-965, 2008.
- Shiou, S-R, Singh, A.B., Moorthy, K., Datta, P.K., Washington M.K., Beauchamp, R.D., and Dhawan, P., Smad4 regulates claudin-1 expression in a TGF-ß-independent manner in colon cancer cells. Cancer Research, 67(4): 1571-9, 2007.
- Anumanthan, G., Halder, S.K., Friedman, D., and Datta, P.K., Oncogenic STRAP modulates the function of Ewing Sarcoma Protein through a novel mechanism. Cancer Research, 66(22):10824-32, 2006.
- Shiou, S-R, Datta, P.K., Dhawan, P., Law, B.K., Yingling, J., Dixon, D.A., and Beauchamp, R.D., Smad4-dependent regulation of uPA secretion and RNA stability associated with invasiveness by autocrine and paracrine TGF-ß. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 281(45):33971-81, 2006.
- Halder, S.K., Anumanthan, G., Maddula R., Mann, J., Chytil, A., Gonzalez, A., Washington, M.K., Moses, H. L., Beauchamp, R. D., and Datta, P.K., Oncogenic function of a novel WD-domain protein STRAP in Human Carcinogenesis. Cancer Research, 66(12):6156-66, 2006.
- Grau, A.M.*, Datta, P.K.*, Zi, J., Halder, S.K., and Beauchamp, R.D., TGF-ß activates NF-kB through a novel Smad regulated mechanism in colon cancer cells. Cellular Signaling, 18, 2006. *Contributed equally
- Halder, S.K., Beauchamp, R.D., and Datta, P.K., A specific inhibitor of TGF-ß receptor kinase, SB431542, as a potent antitumor agent for advanced human cancers. Neoplasia, 7(5), 509-521, 2005.
- Halder, S.K., Beauchamp, R.D., and Datta, P.K., Smad7 Induces tumorigenicity by blocking TGF-ß-induced growth inhibition and apoptosis. Exp Cell Res, 307, 231-246, 2005.
- Anumanthan, G., Halder, S.K., Osada, H., Takahashi, K., Massion, P., Carbone, D., and Datta, P.K., Restoration of TGF-ß-mediated tumor suppression function by stable expression of type II receptor in human lung cancer cells. British Journal of Cancer, 93, 1157-1167, 2005.
- Mithani, S.K., Balch G.C., Shiou, S., Whitehead, R.H., Datta, P.K., and Beauchamp, R.D. Smad3 has a critical role in TGF-ß mediated growth inhibition and apoptosis in colonic epithelial cells. J Surg Res., 117, 296-305, 2004.
- Yu, B., Datta, P. K., and Bagchi, S. Stability of the Sp3-DNA complex is promoter-specific: Sp3 efficiently competes with Sp1 for binding to promoters containing multiple Sp-sites. Nucleic Acids Res 31:5368-76, 2003.
- Monica A. Parker, Natasha G. Deane, E. Aubrey Thompson, Robert H. Whitehead, Suhail K. Mithani, M. Kay Washington, Pran K. Datta, Dan A. Dixon, R. Daniel Beauchamp, Overexpression of Cyclin D1 Regulates Cdk4 Protein Synthesis. Cell Prolif., 36(6), 347-360, 2003.
- Saha, D., Datta, P.K., and Beauchamp, R.D., Oncogenic Ras represses TGF-/SMAD signaling by degrading tumor suppressor Smad4. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 276(31), 29531-29537, 2001.
- Datta, P. K., Blake, M.C., and Moses, H.L., Regulation of Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 Expression by Transforming Growth Factor--induced Physical and Functional Interactions between Smads and Sp1. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 275(51), 40014-40019, 2000.
- Datta, P. K., and Moses, H. L., STRAP and Smad7 synergize in the inhibition of Transforming Growth Factor-ß signaling. Molecular and Cellular Biology, 20(9), 3157-3167, 2000.