Office of Diversity & Multicultural AffairsThe School of Medicine has a fundamental commitment to the identification, recruitment, retention, and career advisement of minorities and students from underrepresented populations. We encourage minority students interested in medical school to contact the office early in their undergraduate studies to offer guidance.
Resources for Current Students
- Counseling and support for academic and personal concerns
- Tutorial programs as needed
- Financial assistance
- Assistance with finding and securing research and clinical opportunities
- Liaison activities among the school, minority students and medical organizations
- Networking opportunities with minority physicians who can serve as role models and advisors
- School of Medicine Diversity Policy
- 2014 School of Medicine Diversity Strategic Plan
- Policy for a Healthy Learning Environment and Learner Mistreatment
Other Programs and Activities
Medical Students Weekend
In the spring, accepted minority students have an opportunity to visit before matriculating. This offers a chance for students to talk with faculty, staff and students and to learn more about the school and the Birmingham area.
Student National Medical Association
This student organization focuses on the goal of increasing the number of physicians who serve in under-represented minority communities. SNMA sponsors programs for undergraduate and entering students, volunteers with organizations in the Birmingham community, and speaks to elementary and high school students.
Summer Health Enrichment Program
This program offers talented undergraduate students from the state of Alabama an experience that will enhance their opportunity for a career in medicine.
Health Careers Opportunity Program
This program recruits and enables economically and educationally disadvantaged youth to become more academically prepared, have exposure to and become equipped with the financial and research tools to navigate their way to a health career.