Health Careers Opportunity Program
The Health Careers Opportunity Program at the University of Alabama School of Medicine (Summit Scholars) represents a major investment by the School of Medicine, the University of Alabama Schools of Dentistry, Optometry, Public Health and Health Related Professions along with the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, the Birmingham City School System, the Alabama Health Department and the Birmingham Young Men's Christian Association towards empowering disadvantaged youth with tools for success in the world of healthcare.
We identify, recruit and enable economically and educationally disadvantaged youth to become more academically prepared, have exposure to and become equipped with the financial and research tools to navigate their way to a health career. We provide exposure to the multiple disciplines through shadowing and hands on, rotational experiences along with immersion into the field of primary care.
- Please remember to be courteous and pick your child/children up on time. We do not have volunteers to stay past 3 p.m.
- Volunteers are still needed each Saturday session to assist with the middle and high school Saturday sessions.
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Parent Handbook & Guidelines (pdf)
- Lab for Kids Guidelines (pdf)
- Saturday Schedule 2013-2014 (pdf)
- ACT Test Administration (pdf)
- Test Score Request (pdf)
- Youth First Weekly (pdf)
- Race for the Cure Course Map (pdf)
Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
P: 205.934.7975 | F: 205.996.2575
Ms. Scottie Y. McClaney
HCOP Program Specialist