Health Careers Opportunity Program
The Health Careers Opportunity Program at the University of Alabama School of Medicine (Summit Scholars) represents a major investment by the School of Medicine, the University of Alabama Schools of Dentistry, Optometry, Public Health and Health Related Professions along with the University of Alabama at Birmingham, the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, the Birmingham City School System, the Alabama Health Department and the Birmingham Young Men's Christian Association towards empowering disadvantaged youth with tools for success in the world of healthcare.
We identify, recruit and enable economically and educationally disadvantaged youth (grades 6-12) to become more academically prepared, have exposure to and become equipped with the financial and research tools to navigate their way to a health career. We provide exposure to the multiple health disciplines through lectures, shadowing, hands on activities, rotational experiences, and immersion into the field of primary care.
Check out some of the HCOP Summit Scholar highlights from this summer!
- Please remember to be courteous and pick your child/children up on time. We do not have volunteers to stay past 3 p.m.
- Volunteers are still needed each Saturday session to assist with the middle and high school Saturday sessions.
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Parent Handbook & Guidelines (pdf)
- Fall Application (pdf)
- HCOP Medical Form (pdf)
- Lab for Kids Guidelines (pdf)
- Saturday Schedule 2014-2015 (Coming Soon)
- ACT Test Administration (pdf)
- Test Score Request (pdf)
- Youth First Weekly (pdf)
- Race for the Cure Course Map (pdf)
Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
P: 205.934.7975 | F: 205.996.2575