Medical Student Services organizes a variety of opportunities to enhance medical student learning. Tutoring services are provided by advanced medical students and residents who are highly competent in the areas tutored. All tutors are chosen from a competitive application process and are required to complete training and have ongoing tutor training session throughout the year.
- To improve academic performance
- To promote self-directed learning
- To engage students in their own learning and study strategies as they adapt to medical school curriculum and exam formats
Residency Application Checklist MS4
For students anticipating a March 2015 match.
March 2016 match timeline is here.
Input your Blazer ID and password to view documents.
| May 2015
| June 2015
So you got into med school! Congratulations! I’m sure you’ll be thankful you chose to pursue your MD here at UAB. I’m sure you’re excited to get started. It won’t be long before your life is going to change pretty drastically. This will be a brand new season of life for you all, a start into a new profession. You’re going to learn… a lot! Most of your learning will come through lectures, small groups, labs, but some of your learning is much more difficult to streamline into a powerpoint or study guide. Furthermore, it will be difficult to assess this learning with computerized or written exams. The type of learning I’m talking about is learning how to live in a healthy and responsible way as a medical student and future physician. This is where Learning Communities come in. The goal of the LC program is to equip medical students to be healthy physician leaders one day. This goal is accomplished through a variety of different things. - John Snellgrove, MS2 LC Rep for Kirklin Community #wolfpack
- Caroline Harada, MD, Assistant Dean for Community Engaged Scholarship & Jason Noah, Director for Student Success Programs give oversight to the UABSOM LC Program.
- Danielle Powell, MD - Lead Mentor
- Sergio Stagno, MD - Lead Mentor
- Todd Peterson, MD - Lead Mentor
- David Resuehr, PhD - Lead Mentor
- Alethia Sellers, MD - Lead Mentor
- John Woods, MD - Lead Mentor
- Blayke Gibson, MD - Lead Mentor
- Leah Leisch, MD - Lead Mentor
- Caroline Harada, MD - Lead Mentor
- Stephanie Berger, MD - Lead Mentor
- Charles Khoury, MD - Lead Mentor
UABSOM New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation Schedule (Word doc) is here!
- Where do I go on Monday?
- Orientation starts at 8am on Monday, July 27.
- You'll come to Volker Hall (1670 University Blvd). This is the same building in which you had your interviews.
- Where do I park?
- Use the parking deck at 10th Ave. S. and 16th Street.
- If this deck is full when you arrive, you'll need to park in Remote Lot
- How long does Orientation last each day
- Exact times vary, depending on the day, but you should block out 8am-5pm each day for orientation activities.
- Is Orientation mandatory?
- Yes. Students are expected to attend every session of Orientation. There are no excused absences.
- Matriculating students are encouraged to move to Birmingham 1-2 weeks prior to Orientation.
- Schedule any needed utility service appointments or doctor's appointments at other times.
- What will we do at Orientation?
- Orientation is designed to introduce you to the UABSOM and your class.
- You'll find out practical things like, how classes work and meet the folks you'll be spending the next four years with.
- For those students assigned to a regional campus for clinical years, you'll get an opportunity to visit that campus and meet the medical school faculty and staff there.
- What should I wear?
- For Monday, July 27, dress is business. You'll get your picture taken for the composite.
- For all other days, dress is casual.
- What should I bring?
- For Monday, you'll need your Social Security card, a photo ID, a notebook, and a pen.
- Bring your laptops, but note these are not used in most sessions at Orientation. We ask that you not use them during sessions unless instructed to do so by a presenter.
- It's also a good idea to have some money or card for drinks.