Residency Application Checklist MS4
For students anticipating a March 2015 match.
March 2016 match timeline is here.
Input your Blazer ID and password to view documents.
| May 2015
| June 2015
- There are currently 11 communities within the UASOM LC Program.
- Students are assigned to a community based on their clinical campus assignments.
- Communities form the basic unit for class and lab small groups, student government, and social and professional development.
- For more information on the Learning Community Program, contact Jason Noah, or click on one of the Community Mentors below.
Current MS2 student: “I have really enjoyed the one hour break each month to get together with my peers and take a small break from the books. It is easy to get overwhelmed or lost in studying and lose sight of what is truly important. I have used our community meetings not only as a time for camaraderie, but also to take step back and refocus on the end goal.”
Mentor: Hughes Evans, MD, PhD
Mentor: Nathan Smith, MD
Mentor: Craig Hoesley, MD
Mentor: Laura Kezar, MD
Mentor: Annalise Sorrentino, MD
Mentor: Lanita Carter, PhD
Mentor: Robert Centor, MD
Mentor: Wick Many, MD
Mentor: Anne Halli-Tierney, MD
Mentor: Heather Taylor, MD
LC Monthly Meeting Topics (2014-2015)
|August||Financial Aid & Academic Success Follow-up (for MS1 students only)|
|September||The Importance of Professional Community|
|October||Mindfulness & Resilience|
|November||Interacting with Different Groups|
|January||Difficult Conversations with Peers|
UABSOM New Student Orientation
- When Is Orientation?
- Orientation runs Monday, July 27-Friday, July 31.
- Where do I go on Monday?
- Orientation starts at 8am on Monday, July 27.
- You'll come to Volker Hall (1670 University Blvd). This is the same building in which you had your interviews.
- How long does Orientation last each day
- Exact times vary, depending on the day, but you should block out 8am-5pm each day for orientation activities.
- Is Orientation mandatory?
- Yes. Students are expected to attend every session of Orientation. There are no excused absences.
- Matriculating students are encouraged to move to Birmingham 1-2 weeks prior to Orientation.
- Schedule any needed utility service appointments or doctor's appointments at other times.
- What will we do at Orientation?
- Orientation is designed to introduce you to the UABSOM and your class.
- You'll find out practical things like, how classes work and meet the folks you'll be spending the next four years with.
- For those students assigned to a regional campus for clinical years, you'll get an opportunity to visit that campus and meet the medical school faculty and staff there.
- Click here for a copy of the 2014 Orientation schedule.
- What should I wear?
- For Monday, July 27, dress is business. You'll get your picture taken for the composite.
- For all other days, dress is casual.
- What should I bring?
- For Monday, you'll need your Social Security card, a photo ID, a notebook, and a pen. That's it!
- For most of Orientation, laptops are not allowed, so there's no need to bring them with you until your Orientation Leaders tell you to.