ARS Guidelines and Resources
Audience Response System
Turning Point is the audience response system (ARS) used by the School of Medicine. ARS slides are interactive elements of the presentation which capture student responses using ARS clickers and graphically display responses on screen once the students have responded to a particular question. General guidelines for using ARS are included below in addition to faculty ARS user guides and installation instructions.
Why Use an Audience Response System?
Research shows that various questioning approaches can improve student learning and retention. Audience response systems permit instant feedback to both instructors and students and allows for an engaging, interactive exchange in the classroom environment. Instructors may pace content delivery, see how students respond to questions to determine where more or less emphasis may be needed in a session, or engage students in problem-based, case scenarios where students may be able to apply knowledge and improve their critical thinking skills. Likewise, students may benefit further as they may be able to gauge their learning and knowledge acquisition and identify areas in need of further review.
Guidelines for Using ARS in Presentations in SOM Sessions:
- Turning Point is required to make ARS questions in a PowerPoint presentation (PowerPoint by itself cannot make ARS slides).
- ARS slides are required in SOM sessions in the lecture room setting, or as otherwise indicated by course directors.
- ARS questions should be content-relevant. Presenters should incorporate ARS slides in their presentations that are tied to curricular content and relevant to help students in their learning, including knowledge acquisition and application.
- ARS questions may vary in number and placement within a given presentation.
- ARS questions should be used to engage the audience. Student responses to ARS questions during a session may help the presenter and/or course director test students' understanding of the material presented and identify areas that may need further clarification. ARS questions and student responses may also serve as a source of discussion points during a session or as follow-up on content in the session or course.
- ARS quizzes (e.g., a series of 5 or more ARS questions for practice or a grade) may also be employed in a course and sessions to provide real-time formative feedback to students in a course or session. If you are planning to use ARS questions for a grade, be sure to consult with the course director prior to the course beginning so that those quizzes may be considered in the course grading rubric. Otherwise, instructors may feel free to incorporate ARS questions or even practice ARS quizzes in their presentations. These will not be graded.
Faculty User Guides for Turning Point (ARS):
Tutorials for PC Version of Turning Point:
- PC Version - Turning Point 5.3.0 PC Faculty Guide
Tutorials for Mac Version of Turning Point:
- Mac Version - Turning Point 5.3.0 MAC Faculty Guide
Turning Point for PC Users - Installation Instructions for PCs
NOTE: If you do not have administrative access to your computer, please contact your IT department about installing Turning Point.
1. Uninstall Turning Point.
2. Download TurningPoint 5.3.0 at http://www.turningtechnologies.com
3. Click on Downloads.
4. Under Polling software, click on Turning Point 5. Then click on PC - Install Version. The latest version is 5.3.0.
5. Fill in your Contact Information and select Submit.
6. Click on the box labeled Click to Download.
7. Click Accept to save the file to your computer. Then click Save.
8. Upon completion of the download, double click the set up file and follow the instructions.
Turning Point for Mac Users - Installation Instructions for Macs
1. To download TurningPoint, navigate to http://www.turningtechnologies.com
2. Click on Downloads.
3. Under Polling software, click on Turning Point 5. Click on Mac-No Install Version. The current version is version 5.3.0.
4. Fill in your Contact Information and select Submit.
5. Click on the box labeled Click to Download.
6. Click Accept to save the file to your computer.
7. Find the downloaded file, double click it, and drag the Turning Point file to your Applications folder.