Resident as Team Leader
The team leader is typically a member of the team who provides guidance and support and has ultimate responsibility for the outcomes of the team. Residents serve as team leaders (i.e., managers and supervisors) for the rotation by overseeing patient care, facilitating effective work and attending rounds, resolving conflicts, coordinating workloads, reporting to the attendings, and ensuring and enhancing teaching opportunities for multi-level learners. Developing strong leadership skills is essential to creating an environment with cooperative team members while balancing both supervision, so that patient care does not suffer, and learner independence, so that learners can develop their skills and knowledge base.
During residency training is when young physicians begin honing the interpersonal skills needed for their roles as leaders and participants in the medical community. Developing these skills to become an effective leader and team member will enable residents to function effectively in any group throughout their careers.
- Quick Reference (printable)
* Leadership Qualities Inventory
* Scoring for Leadership Qualities Inventory
- Blanchard DK, Johnson S. One-Minute Manager. Berkley, CA; Berkley Trade, 1983.
- Edwards JC, Friedland JA, Bing-You R. Residents' Teaching Skills. New Your, NY; Springer Publishing, 2002.
- Greenlick MR. Educating physicians for population-based clinical practice. JAMA. 1992;267:1645-8. [UAB Link]
- Itani K, Liscum K, Brunicardi FC. Physician leadership is a new mandate in surgical training. The American Journal of Surgery, 187(3), March 2004, pages 328-33. [UAB Link]
- Leadership Trait Theories: Defined in Kouzes, James and Posner, Barry. The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002 (3rd edition), pages 13 - 22, 25.
- Pearson SD, Silverman TP, Epstein AL. Leadership and management training: A skill-oriented program for medical residents. J Gen Intern Med 1994;9:227-231. [UAB Link]
- White KL. The Task of Medicine: Dialogue at Wickenburg. MenloPark, CA: Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 1988.
- Wipf JE. The Role of the Senior Resident: Team Manager, Leader and Teacher. Seattle: University of Washington, 2000.