Medical School: University of Tennessee
Residency: Internal Medicine, University of Michigan
Fellowship: Infectious Diseases, University of Washington; MPH, University of Washington School of Public Health
His research program investigates the influence of both biological characteristics of Chlamydia trachomatis and the human host immune-mediated responses and genetics on the clinical manifestations and outcomes of urogenital chlamydial infection. His clinical and teaching interests include the epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of sexually transmitted infections. Dr. Geisler is a teaching faculty for the AL-NC STD/HIV Prevention Training Center. Dr. Geisler is also the Clinical Associate Director of the UAB Medical Scientist Training Program.
- William Geisler, MD (Infectious Diseases) has received a K24 Award from the NHLBI to support patient-oriented research in Chlamydia trachomatosis infection. This is Dr. Geisler’s third NIH grant, in addition to his existing RO1 and U19 awards.
- Dr. Geisler was inducted into the prestigious American Society for Clinical Investigation on April 15, 2016. Here is a link of UAB’s Good News article on the topic: https://www.uab.edu/medicine/news/latest/item/945-two-department-of-medicine-professors-elected-to-asci
- Geisler WM, Morrison SG, Doemland M, Iqbal S, Su J, Mancevski A, Hook EW, Morrison RP. Immunoglobulin-specific responses to Chlamydia elementary bodies in individuals with and at risk for genital chlamydial infection. J Infect Dis 2012;206:1836-1843. PMCID: PMC3502381
- Geisler WM, Lensing SY, Press CG, Hook III EW. Spontaneous resolution of chlamydia in women and protection from reinfection. J Infect Dis 2013;207:1850-6. PMCID: PMC3654745
- Geisler WM, Pascual MLG, Mathew J, Koltun WD, Morgan F, Batteiger BE, Mayes A, Tao S, Hurwitz SJ, Sayada C, Schinazi RF. Safety and efficacy of rifalazil compared with azithromycin in the treatment of uncomplicated genital Chlamydia trachomatis infection in women: a randomized, double-blind, multi-center study. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2014;58:4014-9.
- Kapil R, Hwang ML, Brown L, Press CG, Hook EW, Geisler WM. Investigating the epidemiology of repeat Chlamydia trachomatis detection after treatment using Chlamydia trachomatis Omp A genotyping. J Clin Microbiol 2015;53:546-9. PMCID: PMC4298497
- Feldkamp ML, Enioutina EY, Botto LD ,Krikov S, Byrne JLB, Geisler WM. Chlamydia trachomatis IgG3
seropositivity is associated with gastroschisis. J Perinatol 2015;35:930-4.
- Steiner AZ, Diamond E, Legro RS, Schlaff WD, Barnhart KT, Casson PR, Christman GM, Alvero R, Hansen KR, Geisler WM, Thomas T, Santoro N, Zhang H, Eisenberg E; The Reproductive Medicine Network. Chlamydia trachomatis serostatus is an independent predictor of pregnancy and pregnancy outcome. Fertil Steril 2015;104:1522-6.
- Picard MD, Bodmer J-L, Gierahn T, Lee A, Price J, Cohane K, Clemens V, DeVault V, Gurok G, Kohberger R, Higgins D, Siber G, Flechtner J, Geisler WM. Resolution of Chlamydia trachomatis infection is associated with a distinct T cell response profile. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2015;22:1206-18.
- Geisler WM, Uniyal A, Lee JY, Lensing SY, Johnson S, Perry RCW, Kadrnka CM, Kerndt PR. Azithromycin versus doxycycline for urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis infection. N Engl J Med 2015;373:2512-21. PMCID: PMC4708266
UAB Medicine Physician Profile