James L. Raper, DSN, CRNP, JD
Master of Science in Nursing, University of Alabama in Huntsville
Doctor of Science in Nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Juris Doctorate, Birmingham School of Law
Professor of Medicine and Nursing in the Division of Infectious & Senior Scientist (UAB Center for AIDS Research), Senior Scholar (UAB Center for Palliative and Supportive Care) and Scholar (UAB Lister Hill Center for Health Policy)
I am the Director of the UAB 1917 HIV Outpatient, Dental and Research Clinic in Birmingham, Alabama. As a national Nurse Practitioner leader, I have devoted my career to improving access to care for HIV populations. An attorney and NP, I have impacted HIV care, evidenced through sustained scholarly program of research, practice, policy advocacy and collaborative leadership. My first-hand knowledge and experience in legislation and regulation contribute to my ability to advance health policy reform with inter-professional colleagues and policy makers. I have widely published and am recognized for my work in outcomes HIV outcomes research. I am a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, the American Academy of Nurse Practitioner and the Infectious Disease Society of America.
Holding doctorates in nursing and law, I’ve spent my career at the University of Alabama at Birmingham deeply involved in the care and treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS.
- Turan, B., Fazeli, P.L., Raper, J.L., Mugavero, M.J., & Johnson, M.O. (2016). Social support and moment-to-moment changes in treatment self-efficacy in men living with HIV: Psychosocial moderators and clinical outcomes. Health Psychology Apr 18. [Epub ahead of print].
- Blake Helms, C., Turan, J.M., Atkins, G., Kempf, M.C., Clay, O.J., Raper, J.L., Mugavero, M.J., & Turan, B. (2016). Interpersonal mechanisms contributing to the association between HIV-related internalized stigma and medication adherence. AIDS, Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wilson, N.L., Azuero, A., Vance, D.E., Richman, J.S., Moneyham, L.D., Raper, J.L., Heath, S.L., & Kempf, M.C. (2015). Identifying symptom patterns in people living with HIV disease. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 27: 121-132.
- Cropsey, K.L., Willig, J.H., Mugavero, M.J., Crane, H.M., McCullumsmith, C., Lawrence S., Raper, J.L., Mathews, W.C., Boswell, S., Kitahata, M.M., Schumacher, J.E., & Saag, M.S.; CFAR Network of Integrated Clinical Systems. (2016). Cigarette smokers are less likely to have undetectable viral loads: Results from four HIV clinics. Journal of Addiction Medicine 10(1):13-19.
- Jim Raper, DNS, served as a panelist on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services update of Antiretroviral Guidelines for HIV-1-Infected Adults and Adolescents.
UAB Medicine Physicians Profile