Medical School: University of Louisville
Residency: Internal Medicine, UAB
Fellowship: Infectious Diseases, UAB
I am Associate Dean for Global Health in the School of Medicine, Director of the UAB Center for AIDS Research and a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases. I am also the principal investigator of the CFAR Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS), an NIAID-funded National Network of EMR-collected clinical data at 8 CFAR centers that are merged for the purposes of clinical research. I am the founding director of the UAB 1917 HIV Clinic, which has pioneered treatment programs based on real world clinical trials and studies focused on quality improvement in the area of HIV. I serve as Co-PI of the NA-ACCORD, an international collaboration of more than 30 sites that merge data for comparative effectiveness research, and also serve on the Executive Steering Committee of the ART-CC, an international cohort research group. I have served on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Internal Medicine (and as Chair of the Infectious Disease Subspecialty Board) and the NIH Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council. I am past President of the HIV Medical Association, a member of the IAS-USA Guidelines Panel on Antiretroviral Therapy, a Co-Chair of the AASLD/IDSA/IAS-USA HCV Treatment Guidelines group, and serve on numerous state, local, and national committees. I am Co-Editor of the Sanford Guide for Antimicrobial Therapy and the Sanford HIV Guide and the Sanford Hepatitis Guide. I have had over 25 trainees who have gone on to successful academic careers and I have published over 380 manuscripts during the course of my career. In 1996, I was listed as one of the top ten cited HIV researchers by Science (1996) and received four Argus Awards for Best Lectures to the 1st year medical student at UAB (2009-10,2013,2015). In 2014 I was selected as the Castle-Connelly Physician of the year and was inducted into the Alabama Healthcare Hall of Fame. In 2014, I published my memoir “Positive: One Doctors encounters with Death, Life, and the US Healthcare System.” (http://www.positivethebook.com)
Mike Saag, MD (Infectious Diseases) won the 2016 Ernest Cotlove Award from the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists for outstanding contributions to the science of laboratory medicine
RECENT ARTICLES (selected from 380 publications)
- Saag MS, Hahn BH, Gibbons J, Li Y, Parks S, Parks WP, Shaw GM. Extensive variation of human immunodeficiency virus type‑1 in vivo. Nature 334(6181):440‑444,1988.
- Fisher A, Ensoli B, Looney D, Rose A, Gallo RC, Saag MS, Shaw GM, Hahn BH, Wong‑Staal F. Biologically diverse molecular variants of HIV‑1 isolate. Nature 334(6181):444‑447, 1988.
- Clark SJ, Saag MS, Decker WD, Campbell‑Hill S, Roberson JL, Veldkamp PJ, Kappes JC, Hahn BH, Shaw GM. High titers of cytopathic virus in plasma of patients with symptomatic primary HIV‑1 infection. N Engl J Med 324(14):954‑960, 1991.
- Saag MS, Crain MJ, Decker WD, Campbell-Hill S, Robinson S, Brown WJ, Leuther M, Whitley RJ, Hahn BH, Shaw GM. High-level viremia in adults and children infected with human immunodeficiency virus: Relation to disease stage and CD4+ lymphocyte levels. J Infect Dis 164:72-80, 1991.
- Piatak Jr M, Saag MS, Yang LC, Clark SJ, Kappes JC, Luk K-C, Hahn BH, Shaw GM, Lifson JD. High levels of HIV-1 plasma during all stages of infection determined by competitive PCR. Science 259:1749-1754,1993.
- Wei X, Ghosh SK, Taylor ME, Johnson VA, Emini E, Deutsch P, Lifson JD, Bonhoeffer S, Nowak MA, Hahn BH, Saag MS, Shaw GM. Viral dynamics in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Nature 373:117, 1995
- Saag MS, Holodniy M, Kuritzkes DR, et al,. HIV viral load markers in clinical practice. Nature Med 2:625, 1996.
- Kilby JM, Hopkins S, Venetta TM, DiMassimo B, Cloud GA, Lee JY, Carder L, Johnson R, Nowak MA, Shaw GM, Saag MS. Potent suppression of HIV-1 replication in humans by T-20, a peptide inhibitor of gp41-mediated virus entry. Nat Med 4:1302-1307, 1998.
- Kitahata MM, Rodriguez B, Haubrich R, Boswell S, Mathews WC, Lederman MM, Lober WB, Van Rompaey SE, Crane HM, Moore RD, Bertram M, Kahn JO, Saag MS. Cohort profile: the Centers for AIDS Research Network of Integrated Clinical Systems. Internat J of Epidemiology 37:948-955, 2008.
- Mugavero MJ, S Napravnik, SR Cole, JJ Eron, B Lau, HM Crane, MM Kitahata, JH Willig, RD Moore, SG Deeks, MS Saag Viremia copy-years predicts mortality among treatment-naïve HIV-infected patients initiating antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis 53(9):927-935, 2011.
- Mugavero MJ, KR Amico, AO Westfall, HM Crane, Z Zinski, JH Willig, JC Dombrowski, WE Norton, JL Raper, MM Kitahata, MS Saag. Early retention in HIV care and viral load suppression: implications for a test and treat approach to HIV prevention. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 59(1):86-93, 2012.
- Willig JH, SA Wilkins, A Tamhane, CR Nevin, MJ Mugavero, JL Raper, LA Napolitano, MS Saag. Maraviroc observational study: the impact of expanded resistance testing and clinical considerations for antiretroviral regimen selection in treatment-experienced patients. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 29(1)105-111, 2013.
- Huldrych F. Günthard, MD; Michael S. Saag, MD; Constance A. Benson, MD; Carlos del Rio, MD; Joseph J. Eron, MD;Joel E. Gallant,MD, MPH; Jennifer F. Hoy, MBBS, FRACP; Michael J. Mugavero,MD, MHSc; Paul E. Sax, MD;Melanie A. Thompson, MD; Rajesh T. Gandhi, MD; Raphael J. Landovitz, MD; DaveyM. Smith, MD;Donna M. Jacobsen, BS; Paul A. Volberding, MD. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults2016 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society–USA Panel. JAMA (2016) 316: 191-210.
UAB Medicine Physicians Profile