Birmingham is the hub and heart of Alabama. With a population of almost a million, it's the state's largest city. It's also a city of pleasant surprises.
Located in the north-central part of Alabama, Birmingham climbs and spreads through hills forested with oak, sycamore, beech and other native hardwoods. Being in the foothills of the Appalachians, the city enjoys an almost ideal climate. The average high is 72.7 degrees and the average low is only 51.3 degrees.
Housing, renting or buying, is surprisingly affordable. In addition to a multitude of apartment options, many of the wonderful neighborhoods close to UAB have rental houses and garage apartments. No matter what lifestyle you prefer, Birmingham will have a neighborhood that is just right for you.
Day or night, you can always find entertainment and excitement just around the corner. Planning a night out? Try the Five Points South or the Lakeview areas. Pubs, restaurants, bars, and live music are all within walking distance of the UAB campus. Birmingham is noted for the diversity and quality of restaurants. From grits to foie-gras, curry to sushi, the Magic City offers a fare to please every palate and pocketbook.
Spend the day at Birmingham's Botanical Gardens or Aldridge Botanical Gardens. Birmingham also has a large city-owned Museum of Art.
If you enjoy theater and music, Birmingham will delight you with its variety and scope of entertainment, including the Alys Stephens Center for the Performing Arts right on the UAB Campus.
Because Birmingham is located almost in the center of Alabama, weekend getaways to the mountains in the North, e.g., Smoky Mountains National Park or the white sand beaches on the Gulf Coast, are convenient and affordable. Or you can just drive 5-10 minutes to the Oak Mountain State Park. Learn more about what to do in Birmingham!
- Campus Recreation Center
- UAB has a new, state-of-the-art recreation center to which students have access. Click here to find out more about this outstanding athletic facility.
- Alys Stephens Center for the Performing Arts
- Presenting the world’s best artists in the intimate, acoustically-impeccable spaces of the ASC Click here to find out more about this arts center.
- Clubs and Organizations
- More than 140 professional clubs and organizations on campus offer students the opportunity to expand and explore a wide range of interests and activities.
- Intramural and Recreational Sports
- With 50 plus sports, UAB's Intramural and Recreational Sports Program endeavors to offer something of interest and benefit to every student.
- Student Government Associations
- UAB has eight student government associations which provide for a continual exchange of ideas and opinions between the students, faculty, administration and the community.
- Concerts, Lecture and Film Series
- Student committees bring a broad array of entertaining and enlightening speakers, films and music to the University.
- Literary and School Publications
- UAB Publications include Kaleidoscope, Phoenix, and Aura. The university also publishes three medical publications: UAB Medical Center Magazine, Insight, and Synopsis.