Immediately following the announcement of the current Match, all applicants matching with our three-year Internal Medicine Categorical Track will be contacted individually and asked to select their preferred three-year residency curriculum. The post-Match options are:
- 3-year Categorical Track, for a career goal in either Internal Medicine subspecialty training or General Internal Medicine.
- 3-year Primary Care Track, for a career goal in primary care, focusing on both inpatient and ambulatory general internal medicine.
- 3-year Women’s Health Track, a special subset of the Primary Care Track, which includes specific opportunities to participate in women’s health care and clinics involving gynecology, high risk OB, HIV, breast, osteoporosis, continence, STDs, endocrine, cosmetic surgery, and eating disorders.
- 6-7 year ABIM Research Pathway Track, a combined residency, fellowship, and research program to train academic physician-scientists.
- 4-year Internal Medicine – Pediatrics Training, for a career goal in internal medicine and pediatrics, focusing on ambulatory and inpatient care in General Internal Medicine and Pediatrics.
Applicants who match are assigned their preferred track for the R-1 year. However, all residents are allowed to change their initial track once during residency training by giving advanced notice to the Program Director.
It is important to note that completion of training in any one of the above three-year tracks will enable any UAB Internal Medicine resident to successfully obtain a desirable subspecialty fellowship position, enter into General Internal Medicine practice, obtain an academic position in Internal Medicine, or achieve another personal career goal in other areas of Internal Medicine.