Benefits to Mentors
- Mentors have the opportunity to share their research experience with their mentees.
- Mentees may be a valuable resource in assisting mentors with the implementation of research projects or with the preparation of a manuscript for publication.
- In some training programs, mentees may be able to submit a budget for a research stipend, which may include research or lab supplies for the mentor’s research project if the trainee assists.
- Mentoring may meet requirements for service for many faculty.
- In addition, the mentoring relationship may lead to future research of mutual benefit or may initiate long-term collaborations as mentees become stronger candidates for grant funding as independent investigators.