- Published on February 04, 2014
Read more about the matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization imaging mass spectrometry—MALDI-IMS in the Tuesday, January 28, 2014, edition of the UAB Reporter.
- Published on December 17, 2013
December 14, 2013
Robert Marsden Cox, Jr.
Christina Michelle Croney
Kristopher Ruben Genschmer
David Samuel Jordan, Jr.
Lauren M. Lilly
Michael R. Ludwig
Eva Szymanska Mroczek
Amber Lynne Rowse
Kimberly A. Thomas
Melissa Marie Walker
- Published on December 13, 2013
Briles’ work on proteins that are candidate antigens for pneumococcal vaccines has led to several patents on pneumonia vaccines.
The National Academy of Inventors, founded in 2010, recognizes and encourages inventors with patents issued from the US Patent and Trademark Office. The organization is comprised of more than 3,000 members and fellows from more than 200 US and international universities, and governmental and non-profit research institutions.
- Published on November 22, 2013
- Published on October 25, 2013
|The 22nd Microbiology Research Retreat was held on October 18-20, 2013, at the Alabama 4-H Center in Columbiana, Alabama. “This was the first time for the retreat at this recently remodeled venue. Everyone was very impressed with the facilities, the staff and the surrounding countryside. The 4-H Center is convenient to UAB, less than an hour away,” says Dr. Pete Burrows, Microbiology Graduate Program Director.
The 85 attendees, including graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty, shared diverse experiences and knowledge. “On Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, there were 20 talks by students and postdoctoral fellows, including a record number of New Investigators, students in their first through third year of graduate school. A poster session with light refreshments was held on Friday evening with 21 presenters,” says Burrows.
Kimberly Benton, Ph.D. was key note speaker for this year’s retreat. A former graduate student in Dr. David Briles lab, Benton currently is the Deputy Director for the Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies at the US Food and Drug Administration Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, in Rockville, Maryland. Dr. Benton gave an informative talk, explaining this career option.
“Sunday morning featured three very interesting faculty talks,” says Burrows. “Dmitry Shayakhmetov, University of Washington, who is a potential Microbiology recruit, Mengxi Jiang, University of Michigan, who will be joining the Microbiology Department in January, and Chuck Elson, who is here at UAB in the Department of Medicine.”
Free time activities were geared for the enjoyment of all attendees.
“On both Friday and Saturday nights there was a campfire by Lay Lake, which forms one boundary of the 4H property,” says Burrows. Several trainees commented that the s’mores and roasted marshmallows were a fun treat at these social gatherings.
The extended Saturday afternoon break allowed time for trainees and their mentors to team up for games of basketball and putt-putt, with only the bravest confronting the climbing wall and giant swing.
The retreat was a success because of the hard work of many individuals in the Micro office, in particular Kristina Sinclair and Justin Daigneault who attended the entire event and kept things running smoothly," says Burrows.
|The three-day retreat concluded with the presentation of awards. Students receiving awards
at the retreat include:
- Published on October 07, 2013
Congratulations to Dr. David Bedwell who has been elected to a three-year term on the School of Medicine Faculty Council, effective January 1, 2014. This school-wide committee reviews all promotions and tenure appointments within the School of Medicine at UAB. The Council reviews both clinical appointments and appointments in the basic science departments. In addition to having served on this committee a number of years ago, Bedwell has served as a member and Chair of the microbiology department Promotion and Tenure Committee.
- Kearney Is UAB 2013 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer
- Kym Proctor Is Employee of the Month
- Opportunity of a Lifetime UAB President Ray Watts Has Big Vision for the Future of UAB
- UAB Beckman Scholars Attend 2013 Symposium
- Spring Immunology Symposium Brings People Together
- Chaplin Named Associate Dean for Faculty Development
- Mestecky Awarded Honorary Doctorate of Medicine
- Hiramoto Travel Award Deadline July 1, 2013
- Fernandez to Speak at Beckman Symposium
- Jocelyn Hauser Receives ASM Richard and Mary Finkelstein Grant
- Following in Big Footsteps
- Tse Speaks Out in Diabetes Forecast
- Deep Impact: A Compound for Concussions
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
- Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s Lab
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program