Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel ScholarshipsJennifer Rowland and Kathryn Doornbos, both graduate students in Dr. Michael Niederweis’s lab, received 2013 Ireland Research Travel Scholarships.
Rowland’s award will help cover some of the travel expenses for her trip this summer to Durban, South Africa, where she will participate in a summer internship program at K-RITH (KwaZulu-Natal Research Institute for Tuberculosis and HIV).
Doornbos will be doing an 8-week collaboration with Wilbert Bitter at VU (Vrije Universiteit) this summer. Her award will help fund her travel expenses to the University in Amsterdam.
Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
In spring 2013, David Chaplin, M.D., Ph.D., was elected to a position on the UAB Faculty Senate. The Faculty Senate provides a voice for UAB’s faculty in addressing a variety of matters that affect the University. Faculty representatives from all academic units make up the Senate.
Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s LabBliss Chang, an undergraduate majoring in Biomedical Engineering with a minor in Biology, has been awarded the 2013 Beckman Scholarship to work in Jamil Saad’s lab for one year starting this summer. He was selected as the only Beckman scholar at UAB this year.
“I am excited to have two Beckman Scholars in my lab at the same time [in addition to Timothy Fernandez who received the 2012 Beckman Scholarship]. Having two Beckman Scholars in the same lab at the same time is a very rare case in the US since it is considered an extremely competitive award,” explains Dr. Saad.
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award
- Obesity Is Topic for UAB Alumnus Speaker
- UAB Program in Immunology NIH Training Grant Scores a Perfect 10
- Microbiology PostDocs Win Awards
- Infectious Diseases, Global Health and Vaccines Requests Applications