- Published on February 19, 2014
Postdoctoral Research Day, hosted by the UAB Postdoctoral Association (PDA) and the Office of Postdoctoral Education (OPE), allows trainees an opportunity to practice their presentation skills, compete for monetary awards, and network with faculty and other postdocs. Trainees present their work in a situation similar to a conference, and receive constructive feedback to help them improve their presentation technique.
The 2014 microbiology winners are:
|Davide Botta (Lund lab), 2nd Place, Session One|
|Valeria Lulla (Frolov lab), 3rd Place, Session Five|
|Colin Reily (Novak lab), 1st Place, Session Five|
|Alexander Speer (Niederweis lab), 2nd Place, Session Two|
|Jim Sun (Niederweis lab), 1st Place, Session Two|
|Venkata Yeramilli (Kearney lab), 2nd Place, Session Five|
These outstanding trainees were among 53 entrants from UAB and SRI (Southern Research Institute). Each submitted a 300-word abstract and presented a 12-minute talk about their research project. Research Day was divided into six sessions with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards for each session. Presentations were judged by UAB faculty and SRI scientists.
- Published on February 17, 2014
"The mentoring award is a new category of diversity award,” explains UAB Microbiology Department professor David Briles, Ph.D. “It is for faculty who through their mentoring have had a significant impact on the diversity of UAB students and graduates. Janet mentored the first under-represented minority student to receive a Ph.D. while training in the UAB Microbiology Department. This success made it clear that our department could provide a nurturing environment for students of all stripes and has led to the training of many minority graduate students in the labs of microbiology faculty members.”
UAB President’s Diversity Awards are presented annually to recognize the significant achievements of faculty, staff and students who have worked to develop a more culturally diverse, competent and inclusive university community. Awards are given in five categories for projects or activities that best reflect the implementation of unit and/or campus diversity goals.Janet Yother, Ph.D., has a special knack for encouraging minorities who have chosen to pursue a career in science and mentoring them to become successful scientists. Her work to promote diversity in science education and training was recognized on February 13, 2014, when she received the UAB President’s Diversity Award for Mentoring.
- Published on February 07, 2014
- Published on February 07, 2014
The 5th Southeastern Mycobacteria Meeting was supported by UAB Center for AIDS Research, UAB Microbiology Department, and Infectious Disease, Global Health and Vaccines Strategic Planning Initiative.
To read more about this meeting, go to “Mycobacteria meeting focuses on TB.”
For more about Mycobacterium tuberculosis, go to “UAB Reaches to Africa to Study TB;” “Drug-resistant TB underestimated, Cassell says;” and “Disrupting iron transport leads to cell death in tuberculosis bacterium.”
- Published on February 05, 2014
Chang’s poster is one of only 60 chosen from 600 entries. He will be the first from Alabama to present.
Posters on the Hill, sponsored by the Council on Undergraduate Research, Washington, D.C., is a part of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research. It provides an opportunity for members of Congress to understand the importance of undergraduate research by talking directly with the students and their mentors.
Chang and Saad hope to meet with many Congressional Representatives to tell them how important federal funding is to basic research and the development of future scientists.
- Published on February 04, 2014
Read more about the matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization imaging mass spectrometry—MALDI-IMS in the Tuesday, January 28, 2014, edition of the UAB Reporter.
- Congratulations to Our Recent Graduates
- Briles Elected to National Academy of Inventors
- SOM Nominates Yother for 2014 Diversity Award
- 2013 UAB Microbiology Research Retreat
- Bedwell Elected to SOM Faculty Council
- Kearney Is UAB 2013 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer
- Kym Proctor Is Employee of the Month
- Opportunity of a Lifetime UAB President Ray Watts Has Big Vision for the Future of UAB
- UAB Beckman Scholars Attend 2013 Symposium
- Spring Immunology Symposium Brings People Together
- Chaplin Named Associate Dean for Faculty Development
- Mestecky Awarded Honorary Doctorate of Medicine
- Hiramoto Travel Award Deadline July 1, 2013
- Fernandez to Speak at Beckman Symposium
- Jocelyn Hauser Receives ASM Richard and Mary Finkelstein Grant
- Following in Big Footsteps
- Tse Speaks Out in Diabetes Forecast
- Deep Impact: A Compound for Concussions
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate