- Published on October 07, 2013
Congratulations to Dr. David Bedwell who has been elected to a three-year term on the School of Medicine Faculty Council, effective January 1, 2014. This school-wide committee reviews all promotions and tenure appointments within the School of Medicine at UAB. The Council reviews both clinical appointments and appointments in the basic science departments. In addition to having served on this committee a number of years ago, Bedwell has served as a member and Chair of the microbiology department Promotion and Tenure Committee.
- Published on September 13, 2013
Congratulations to microbiology department faculty member Dr. John Kearney who was named UAB 2013 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer, one of the highest honors a UAB faculty member can receive.
After earning his Ph.D. in immunology from the University of Melbourne, Australia, Kearney came to UAB as a postdoc with Drs. Cooper and Lawton. His postdoctoral work focused on in vitro models of immunoglobulin isotope switching. He joined the microbiology staff in 1977 and has continued his studies on B cell differentiation. His work has brought worldwide recognition to UAB.
Kearney will be the keynote speaker at the 2013 Distinguished Faculty Lecturer reception in the fall.
Read more about Dr. Kearney's accomplishments.
Listen to an interview with Dr. Kearney.
- Published on August 27, 2013
Read more about Kym at Proctor named Employee of the Month for August.
- Published on August 02, 2013
- Published on August 02, 2013
UAB’s five (3 finishing, 2 starting) Beckman Scholars attended the Beckman Foundation's Scholars Symposium, July 25-27, at the Beckman Center of the National Academy of Sciences and Engineering in Irvine, California.
- Published on July 24, 2013
The Microbiology department played an important role in hosting this event. Hubert Tse, Ph.D., was one of the organizers of the meeting, which was sponsored by the Immunology Autoimmunity and Transplantation Steering Committee. Frances Lund, Ph.D., microbiology department chair, and Casey Weaver, M.D., microbiology department secondary faculty member, were co-directors of the steering committee.
Nobel Prize Laureate Dr. Rolf Zinkernagel of the University Hospital in Zurich, Switzerland; Dr. Emil Unanue of Washington University School of Medicine; and Dr.John Cambier of the Denver School of Medicine, were distinguished keynote speakers. Faculty members at Emory, HudsonAlpha, Vanderbilt, University of Tennessee at Memphis, Georgia Regents University, University of Florida and UAB presented their work.
Read more at UAB Medicine News.
- Chaplin Named Associate Dean for Faculty Development
- Mestecky Awarded Honorary Doctorate of Medicine
- Hiramoto Travel Award Deadline July 1, 2013
- Fernandez to Speak at Beckman Symposium
- Jocelyn Hauser Receives ASM Richard and Mary Finkelstein Grant
- Following in Big Footsteps
- Tse Speaks Out in Diabetes Forecast
- Deep Impact: A Compound for Concussions
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
- Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s Lab
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award
- Obesity Is Topic for UAB Alumnus Speaker
- UAB Program in Immunology NIH Training Grant Scores a Perfect 10
- Microbiology PostDocs Win Awards