- Published on June 25, 2013
Applications are due no later than midnight, July 1, 2013.
Submit all application materials:
- a completed application form
- curriculum vitae
- recommendation/approval from the student’s mentor
- a meeting abstract or a brief justification for attending the meeting/course (if attending a course, include a description of the course and how attending would benefit you)
Applications are evaluated by the Microbiology graduate committee, and awards are based on the student’s research accomplishments or potential for research. Preference is given to students who will be presenting their research findings at the meeting. Award recipients will be announced within three weeks of the deadline dates. Students not funded may reapply for the next award cycle. Awardees are eligible to reapply after two years of receipt of an award.
The endowment fund was established in 2002 in honor of Dr. Ray Hiramoto, a noted immunologist who served more than 35 years on the faculty of the UAB Department of Microbiology.
- Published on June 07, 2013
A senior in the University Honors Program, Fernandez is one of UAB's three inaugural Beckman scholars. He is one of six students chosen from the nationwide pool of Beckman Scholars to present his research at the Beckman Symposium. Saad, who is representing the 15 Beckman UAB mentors at this year's symposium, will introduce Fernandez.
Fernandez has published three papers in professional journals. He is an author on two papers in the Journal of Biological Chemistry (2010 and 2011) and one paper in Frontiers of Virology (2012). Additionally, Timothy is first author on a paper under review at the Journal of Biological Chemistry. He has given presentations at more than 15 conferences, both on his research and other scholarly activities, at local (UAB EXPOs), state (Alabama Academy of Sciences; University of Alabama System Honors Research Conference), regional (Southern Regional Honors Council, the American Chemical Society Southeastern Undergraduate Research Conference), and national (National Conference on Undergraduate Research; American Chemical Society; and National Collegiate Honors Council) throughout his undergraduate career.
- Published on May 31, 2013
The 113th General Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology will be in Denver, Colorado, on May 18-21, 2013.
- Published on May 31, 2013
- Published on May 24, 2013
- Published on May 06, 2013
Winter 2013 UAB Medicine
- Two Micro Students Awarded Ireland Research Travel Scholarships
- Chaplin Elected to Faculty Senate
- Beckman Scholar to Join Saad’s Lab
- Fernandez Receives Arts and Sciences Dean’s Award
- Lefkowitz Examines the Human Microbiome
- Graduate Student Receives IADR Travel Award
- Two UAB Students Chosen for K-RITH Summer Program
- Microbiology Trainees Receive Graduate Student Research Days Awards
- Micro Trainee Receives Sinkala Travel Award
- Obesity Is Topic for UAB Alumnus Speaker
- UAB Program in Immunology NIH Training Grant Scores a Perfect 10
- Microbiology PostDocs Win Awards
- Infectious Diseases, Global Health and Vaccines Requests Applications
- Prevelige Discusses Research in February 2013 BioTechniques
- 2012 Microbiology Research Retreat
- Walter's Project a Perfect 10
- Graduate Student Leland Black Receives Award
- Yother Is SOM Diversity Nominee
- New Additions to Novak Lab