Since its inception in 1968, kidney transplantation has been one of the flagship programs at UAB. With access to state-of the-art care in state-of-the-art facilities, over 9000 patients have undergone kidney transplantation at UAB, including over 3500 recipients of kidneys from living donors. No other transplant center in the Southeast, and only a select few in the country, offer such a broad and rich tradition of service to kidney patients and their needs. Our broad expertise is exemplified by:
- A stable, experienced multidisciplinary team of surgeons, nephrologists, coordinators, social workers, transplant pharmacists, and financial coordinators
- Patient outcomes (graft and patient survival) second to none
- Prompt, convenient evaluation of transplant and living donor candidates
- A “one-stop” drive-up outpatient transplant facility offering pre- and posttransplant clinic services, pharmacy consultation, laboratory and biopsy services, patient education
- A recently updated, integrated inpatient transplant experience on a 32-bed kidney transplant unit with easy access to dialysis services for both medical and surgical admissions.
- A rapidly growing incompatible transplant program for hard-to-match recipients offering both desensitization and kidney paired donation.
- Access to cutting edge therapies in transplantation via collaborative research programs with the nations best transplant centers.
For Patients and/or Providers Wishing to Refer Patients for Kidney Transplantation at UAB.
To Learn More About Academic Offerings Related To Kidney Transplantation:
Fellowship Training Opportunities