Primary Department Affiliation: Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology
Sparks Center, 866B
1720 7th Ave. South
Birmingham, Al 35294
Sparks Center, 865D
- 1979-1982 B.S., Biological Sciences, University of California, Irvine
- 1982-1986 Ph.D., Biological Sciences, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of California, Irvine, California
- 1986-1989 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital Boston, Massachusetts
Academic Appointments with UAB:
- Kathy Ireland Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology
- Professor of Neurobiology (secondary)
- Professor of Cell Biology (secondary)
- Senior Scientist, Civitan International Research Center
Previous Academic Appointments:
- 1989-1990 Instructor in Neurology, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital Boston, Massachusetts
- 1990-2007 Faculty, Maryland Psychiatric Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- Basal Ganglia Neurobiology in Normal and Diseased Brain
- Neuropathology in Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses
- Antipsychotic Drug Effects
- Development of the mammalian striatum
- Developing and maintaining postmortem psychiatric brain collections
Roberts, R.C., Xu, L., Roche, J.K., and Kirkpatrick, B. (2005) The ultrastructural localization of reelin in the cortex in postmortem human brain. J. Comp. Neurol., 482:294-308.
Roberts, R.C., Roche, J.K., and Conley, R.R. (2005) Synaptic differences in the postmortem striatum of subjects with schizophrenia: a stereological ultrastructural analysis. Synapse, 56:185-197.
Hutcherson, L. and Roberts, R.C. (2005) The immunocytochemical localization of substance P in the human striatum: a postmortem ultrastructural study. Synapse, 57:191-201.
Akbarian, S., Ruehl, M.G., Bliven, E., Luiz, L.A., Peranelli, A.C., Baker, S.P., Roberts, R.C., Bunney Jr., W.E., Conley, R.C., Jones, E.G., Tamminga, C.A., and Guo, Y. (2005) Chromatin alterations associated with downregulated metabolic gene expression in prefrontal cortex of schizophrenics. Arch. Gen. Psych., 62:829-840.
Roberts, R.C., Roche, J.K., and Conley, R.R. (2005) Synaptic differences in the patch matrix compartments of the striatum of subjects with schizophrenia: a postmortem ultrastructural analysis. Neurobiol. Dis., 20:324-335.
Kirkpatrick, B., Xu, L., Cascella, N., Ozeki, Y., Sawa, A., and Roberts, R.C. (2006) DISC1 immunoreactivity at the light and ultrastructural level in the human neucortex.. Jrl. Comp. Neurol., 497:436-450.
Roberts, R.C. (2007) Disrupted in Schizophrenia (DISC1): Integrating clinical and basic findings. Schizophr Bull. 33 (1):11-5.
Dwivedi,Y., Rizavi, H.S., Teppen, T., Sasaki, N., Chen, H., Zhang, H., Roberts, R.C., Conley, R.R., and Pandey, G.N. (2007) Aberrant extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) 5 signaling in hippocampus of suicide subjects. Neuropsychopharmacology, 32:2338-2350.
Poeggeler, B., Rassoulpour, A., Wu, H.W., Guidetti, P., Roberts, R.C., and Schwarcz, R. (2007) Dopamine receptor activation reveals a novel, kynurenate-sensitive component of striatal NMDA neurotoxicity. Neurosci., 148(1):188-97.
Perez-Costas, E., Melendez-Ferro, M., and Roberts, R.C. (2007) Microscopy techniques and the study of synapses. In: Modern Research and Educational Topics in Microscopy. A. Mendez-Vilas and J. Diaz (eds), Formatex, Badajoz, Spain, Vol 1:164-170.
Perez-Costas, E., Guidetti, P., Melendez-Ferro, M., Kelley, J.J., and Roberts, R.C. (2008) Neuroleptics and animal models: feasibility of oral treatment monitored by plasma levels and receptor occupancy assays. J. Neural Transm. May;115(5):745-53
Roberts, R.C., and Perez-Costas, E. (2008) Ultrastructural localization of reelin, In: Reelin glycoprotein. Structure, biology and roles in health disease. S.H. Fatemi (ed.), Springer, May, 8:107-126.
Roberts, R.C., Roche, J.K., and Conley, R.R. (2008) Differential synaptic changes in the striatum of subjects with undifferentiated vs. paranoid schizophrenia. Synapse, Aug 62(8):616-27.
Pandey, G.N., Ren, X., Rizavi, H.S., Conley, R.R., Roberts, R.C., Dwivedi, Y. (2008) Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and tyrosine kinase B receptor signaling in post-mortem brain of teenage suicide victims. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. ( 2008) Jul 9:1-15.
Wonodi, I, Hong, L.E., Stine, O.C., Mitchell, B.D., Elliott, A., Roberts, R.C., Conley, R.R., McMahon, R.P., and Thaker, G.K. (2008) Dopamine Transporter Polymorphism Modulates Oculomotor Function and DAT1 mRNA Expression in Schizophrenia, Am J Med Gen, in press.
Melendez-Ferro M, Perez-Costas, E., Roberts, R.C. (2008) A new use for long term frozen brain tissue: Golgi impregnation. J. Neuroscience Methods, in press.
Roberts, R.C., Roche, J.K., Conley, R.R., and Lahti, A. (2008) Dopaminergic synapses in the caudate nucleus of subjects with schizophrenia: relationship to treatment response. Synapse, in press.