Jerzy Szaflarski, MD, PHD
Director, UAB Epilepsy Center
312 Civitan International Research Ctr
1719 6th Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294
- To promote patient care, research, and education in the field of epilepsy.
- To prevent, treat, and cure epilepsy.
- Our UAB Epilepsy Center is the only comprehensive epilepsy center in Alabama, as defined by criteria for the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- The UAB Epilepsy Center is the largest in the Southeast and one of the top five in the country, based on patient volume.
- The UAB Epilepsy Center has state-of-the-art facilities and equipment available for diagnostic studies and treatment for children and adults with epilepsy.
- We are the only center for surgical treatment of epilepsy in Alabama. We have an active program for epilepsy surgery for adults based at the University of Alabama Hospital and for children at The Children's Hospital of Alabama.
- The only magnetoencephalography (MEG) laboratory in the Southeast, the UAB-HSF MEG Laboratory, is part of the Epilepsy Center. MEG provides a more accurate way of locating the origin of seizures and is also used to locate brain areas responsible for speech, sensation, and vision. This makes surgery safer and more effective.
- The Division of Epilepsy faculty of the Department of Neurology includes 5 neurologists, 2 neuropsychologists, and one doctor of pharmacy. Epilepsy Center members in other departments include three neurosurgeons and one pediatric neurologist who also specializes in tuberous sclerosis, all of whom specialize in the treatment of epilepsy.
For more information, visit the UAB Epilepsy Center.